Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Sony Daily Edition to Offer Wall Street Journal Subscriptions

From Today's Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Sony announced Thursday morning that it will sell subscriptions to the digital edition of the Journal as well as a daily summary of news events available only to owners of the Sony device. In addition, users will be able to subscribe to a daily summary of news stories and columns from MarketWatch.com, which like the Journal is owned by Dow Jones & Co.

The Journal summary will cost $5 a month on top of the $14.99 monthly charge for the digital edition of the paper, while a subscription to the MarketWatch product will cost $10.99 a month.
The article is very interesting, but I don't know if you can read it without a subscription.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000..._LEFTWhatsNews

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The big question is whether this will be accessible to all Sony users or only those who own the PRS-900.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Dakhma
Dakhma began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600BC Reader Touch Edition
You forgot:

[Deleted]

Moderator comment:

The original poster did not "forget" it. You cannot post the entirety of an article here (or anywhere else); to do so it a copyright infringement

Last edited by HarryT; 12-17-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Dakhma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
If anyone is interested in reading the whole article, you just have to Google it and use the link from Google to go to the WSJ site. They currently have a deal with Google to allow links from the search engine to get access to full articles, though who knows how long that will last. Murdoch seems intent on cutting down his audience to only a select audience willing to pay (premium). It's very short-sighted and a bad long-term business decision.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can just buy a subscription to the WSJ directly and use it with calibre to read the WSJ on any device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
It's funny. When you go to the Sony Ebookstore, there is a link at the top for Newspapers. Clicking on it takes you to a "coming soon" page and specifies only the Daily Edition Reader, but it looks more like a picture of the Touch edition. The picture shows a reader accessing the store directly from the reader, but the proportions are of the Touch edition. I know the Touch edition isn't getting wireless, but I would love access to the periodicals, still.

"Coming Soon" Page on Sony's Ebookstore Online
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The Daily Edition is only about 1.35" taller than the 600, so the proportions will actually look pretty similar when skewed like that.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
I would have thought the proportions would have been exagerrated at that angle.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The full article is available -- without copyright infringement -- here:
http://www.vpa.net/index.php/updates...subscriptions/

Some WSJ content is resold through parent Dow Jones news service. This is an example.

This is among the most interesting bits of the story:

"News Corp. Chairman and Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch has indicated that a partnership with Sony would include other favorable terms, like sharing the names of subscribers, which Amazon doesn't do."

Amazon has every reason to protect the e-newspaper subscriber data so it stays as the conduit. Sony, on the other hand, might have a variety of interests in merging its e-book subscriber data and some of its other customer data to resell to third parties or launch co-projects. It odes create a different dynamic in the business relationship.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 12-18-2009 at 05:54 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
The problem with using Calibre is that it is RSS based, so if you download the paper every day, you'll end up downloading many articles that you've already seen the day before, or even earlier. It isn't a true representation of the day's paper.

Compiling the whole book from all the RSS links also takes a while, whereas downloading a precompiled ePub (that would be compiled at 5AM of each day) would take seconds.

I don't know why WSJ/NYT/etc can't just compile and release such an ePub file for subscribers. They're all losing subscribers hand over fist, yet don't seem very serious about venturing into other delivery media. And why would they limit this to a certain PRS model, when they all have the same DRM capabilities? They all just seem shortsighted and simpleminded.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
cbnash
cbnash began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Newspapers Now Livie

Newspapers are now available in the Sony ebook store. I just downloaded the Wall Street J,
and yes, I can read it on my 600!

Last edited by cbnash; 12-19-2009 at 07:27 AM.
cbnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The full article is available -- without copyright infringement -- here:
http://www.vpa.net/index.php/updates...subscriptions/

Some WSJ content is resold through parent Dow Jones news service. This is an example.

This is among the most interesting bits of the story:

"News Corp. Chairman and Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch has indicated that a partnership with Sony would include other favorable terms, like sharing the names of subscribers, which Amazon doesn't do."

Amazon has every reason to protect the e-newspaper subscriber data so it stays as the conduit. Sony, on the other hand, might have a variety of interests in merging its e-book subscriber data and some of its other customer data to resell to third parties or launch co-projects. It odes create a different dynamic in the business relationship.
Nothing like having your personal information pimped out!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Nothing like having your personal information pimped out!
I also heard that the New York Post, Murdoch's right-wing rag is part of the agreement. I wonder if Sony is giving Murdoch an exclusive agreement.

In either case, not being a fan of Murdoch's attitudes or methods this is easy for me.

Kobo (formerly ShortCovers) is a great alternative to the Sony Book Store in my opinion, better pricing and they also offer frequent discounts that can be applied to whatever book you want to buy.

So, good bye Sony and good bye Sony devices as well.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Oh cool, I never did see the link to newspapers. Must be recent. So I guess I take back what I wrote. Though it would apply regressively; why did it take them so long, especially since the Kindle had this for so long. An edition is only 99 cents, which is fair IMO. And no stacks of paper to throw out.

As far as personal info, they already have it from when I was a subscriber. And guess what, your info is out there already. I can't look at a car site without the next day seeing nothing but banners for that exact car on every site I visit.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:15 AM   #15
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
Hi everyone. I just purchased the current issue for 99 cents. The current issue downloaded to my Sony eBook Library software (mac version). I connected my PRS-700 and synced without any problems.

I have a question about subscribing which I would get 6 issues a week for 4 weeks. How does this work? Do I have to log in using my Sony eBook library software everyday and download each issue? Where do I go once I'm logged in or does the issues get downloaded automatically everytime I log in? I'm a little confused on how the subscriptions work. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by mokeiko; 12-20-2009 at 03:17 AM.
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote