Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Thumbs down Dropbox on Forma not all it’s cracked up to be

So I finally got around to trying Dropbox on my Forma. I’m somewhat disappointed to be honest.

So getting an account is easy, though Dropbox does try and steer you into one of the paid options pretty hard. It’s worth getting a referral link since it’s 500mb free for you and them.

Linking it with calibre is also easy just connect to folder and select the right one (this does have to be the one Kobo generates on your Dropbox your Forma doesn’t see anything else).

So far so good right?

Well this is where the problems set in. I’m aware Dropbox can’t read kepub files which for me doesn’t matter. I don’t want it to read them I just want it to act as a middleman from my computer or whatever device to my Forma. I would have thought this would be a no brainer for this set up. After all it has the option to download the files.

Oh boy was I wrong. The first time you try to get a particular kepub over to your Forma it asks about being sure you want to download it because Dropbox can’t open it. I was holding out some hope here. Sure it’d be a pain to do bulk transfers this way but a few books here and there? No problem really. Still better than having to have my Forma plugged into my computer send the files over, eject it, wait for it to process and then enjoy my books.

But no. I have no idea where it tries to send the kepubs, syncing briefly shows “finishing download of file name.

But nothing appears in my books and nothing seems to have been written to the Kobo (plugging it in didn’t show anything unless it’s buried somewhere).

The first time I tried this converting the books to kepub in the transfer the second time I converted them on my computer.

I then tried ePub which did work though series data wasn’t sent over, everything else seems to have been as the covers do display along with the author.

In the end this is disappointing I’m somewhat surprised Kobo wouldn’t ensure their native format would be able to transfer using this method. I can forgive the series info not syncing as even directly putting it on the Kobo requires reconnecting it I believe.

I will not be using this feature until/unless kepub is actually supported. If I’ve missed something please let me know.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:51 AM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I don't know about the formats, but I don't think series info can be sent over unless you use Calibre to update the database on the device?
With that said, I'm not sure what Kobo would do when approached with this kind of complaint. The kepub.epub files are a product of conversion and not something that you're actually 'supposed to have', though the developers must be aware of the conversion plugin in Calibre. The 'cloud storage' for your kepub files is supposed to be the Kobo store.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 05:24 AM   #3
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Maybe it depends on the actual file extension. Do you send your kepubs as filename.kepub or filename.kepub.epub?
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #4
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I tried with the kobocloud plugin https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...49#post3900449 and it works for my Aura One but only with .epub and .kepub.epub files.

I'm a happy puppy
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
One thing that everyone keeps forgetting is that Kobo doesn't actually support sideloading kepubs for everyday reading. And, their information page for adding books via Dropbox, https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-with-Dropbox, has a link to the supported formats, https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017763713.

But, I'm pretty sure someone else has already tested that with the extension as .kepub.epub, the books will downloads as kepubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, I'm pretty sure someone else has already tested that with the extension as .kepub.epub, the books will downloads as kepubs.
Yep they do, tested it earlier with the plugin.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
One thing that everyone keeps forgetting is that Kobo doesn't actually support sideloading kepubs for everyday reading. And, their information page for adding books via Dropbox, https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...r-with-Dropbox, has a link to the supported formats, https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017763713.
To be fair, the first page says "You can add any supported file types to Dropbox and it will be added to your eReader after you sync."
I don't think most people would expect that 'supported file types' included Kobo's own ePub version, which apparently it doesn't, according to the second page.
I understand how that can make sense, if you understand Kobo's other positions, but it is extremely non-intuitive.
Once people understand that renaming the files works, I think this could be quite a useful feature. I could see myself using it if it was extended to other models.

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-08-2019 at 09:28 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
We've always had to rename KePubs in order to sideload them, so I'm not sure what's so surprising here?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
We've always had to rename KePubs in order to sideload them, so I'm not sure what's so surprising here?
Not so much surprising just disappointing that Kobo wouldn’t have worked this out. Yes as David says they don’t support side loading kepub but they’ve also never officially supported Dropbox in this way.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But the Dropbox support is essentially still sideloading . You don't get sync, you just get plain wireless transfers.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I don't know about the formats, but I don't think series info can be sent over unless you use Calibre to update the database on the device?
With that said, I'm not sure what Kobo would do when approached with this kind of complaint. The kepub.epub files are a product of conversion and not something that you're actually 'supposed to have', though the developers must be aware of the conversion plugin in Calibre. The 'cloud storage' for your kepub files is supposed to be the Kobo store.
Yeah I’m okay with series info and such not sending over. It’s bothersome but as noted even directly transferring to a Kobo requires the database to have scanned the book first. So I wasn’t really thinking that this would work with calibre to Dropbox to kobo.

Less true on the second part they clearly now allow cloud storage on Dropbox. Yes the file is in this case a product of conversion but it’s still a format that kobo itself can read. In my opinion they should allow it.

I’d known there was some work around but I couldn’t remember it at 1am and google wasn’t being nice.

I may use it going forward but I stand by my initial impression that it’s a feature that could be improved upon. Much like overdrive when it initially launched on the KA1.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #12
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
But the Dropbox support is essentially still sideloading . You don't get sync, you just get plain wireless transfers.
It's official sideloading, kinda like pulling in books (or whatever) from iCloud Drive on an iPad rather than using iTunes.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Not so much surprising just disappointing that Kobo wouldn’t have worked this out. Yes as David says they don’t support side loading kepub but they’ve also never officially supported Dropbox in this way.
You didn't actually say what you put onto Dropbox. If you didn't use ".kepub.epub", then what did you use? Kobo doesn't use an extension at all for kepubs from the store. Using "kepub" as an extension in calibre is, as far as I remember, a calibre thing only. And came about only to allow us to add them to calibre because calibre couldn't treat ".kepub.epub" as different from ".epub".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
You didn't actually say what you put onto Dropbox. If you didn't use ".kepub.epub", then what did you use? Kobo doesn't use an extension at all for kepubs from the store. Using "kepub" as an extension in calibre is, as far as I remember, a calibre thing only. And came about only to allow us to add them to calibre because calibre couldn't treat ".kepub.epub" as different from ".epub".
It would have been whatever calibre sends them as with only the base settings. Though if I recall the kobo output and kobo extended touch can’t save as kepub.epub it’d need to be done by the user. If I’m wrong I’ll happily eat a bit of crow. I’d confirm what sent over but I removed them from Dropbox and I’m not near that computer, it was likely just.kepub given that it didn’t work
Old 10-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

As @davidfor just said, nothing ever feeds you a .kepub, certainly not Kobo itself.

Calibre only uses it *internally* as a file extension if you happen to store KePubs in your library, a decision which I suspect was made purely for simplicity's sake.

As soon as you Send To Device, it's sent as a .kepub.epub. Which I'm pretty sure is also another Calibre convention: I haven't checked, but I suspect that even without a kepub mention in the filename, your device would figure out it's a KePub and not a straight ePub .

Code:
Calibre Library:
'/home/niluje/Calibre/Douglas Adams/The Ultimate Hitchhiker'\''s Guide to the Galaxy (79)/The Ultimate Hitchhiker'\''s Guide to the Gal - Douglas Adams.kepub'

->

Device:
/mnt/onboard/Adams, Douglas/Ultimate Hitchhiker_s Guide to the Galaxy, The - Douglas Adams.kepub.epub
(Because, again, Kobo's own KePubs don't even *have* a file extension).

Code:
A bunch of files whose name if just an UUID with no extension in /mnt/onboard/.kobo/kepub

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.