Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Check out Ouiivo Reader Update

Though I find it not really usable as my ebook reader you might want to checkout Ouiivo Reader for iPad. Though buggy and unstable it has some interesting features in the user interface.

What makes the app un-usable in my opinion is that you don't flip "pages", you scroll (up) thru the entire chapter. Sadly, tapping right and left taps takes you to next chapter or section, not to next page.

Too bad as I found this app to be quite innovative, especially the reading "process" view.

As I say.. it's worth a look just to check out the "different" interface. Lot's of color and font options and some new concepts.

Note: To exit a book and return to bookshelf press the bottom right tab (when viewing book) and then press the "x" at the top right. IT IS NOT EASILY FOUND as to how to exit a book!

UPDATE: To exit book and get back to bookshelf tap the bottom right tab and then the "x" in the top right corner. Getting back to the bookshelf or "main" screen is NOT intuitive and it is NOT readily apparent as to exit a book.

I'm hoping the developer will add page turning and get this thing stable as they seem to have some great ideas.

NOTES:
- making wider margins will get the text off the "user options" tab.
- I still can't figure what the left bottom tab/button does.
- I could find no way to exit the instructions app.. . had to delete the app and redownload.

Last edited by 1611mac; 08-10-2011 at 02:06 PM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added: To exit a book press the bottom right tab and then the "x" at the top right. Not very intuitive or user friendly.
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Plenty of fonts is a plus, but scrolling text is no good, and it don't have a dictionary. T_T

But is a good start.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
1611mac
eWanderer

Developer responds:
I sent an email to the developer not knowing if I'd even get a response. I essentially suggested that his reader would not be accepted for the reasons mentioned.

In less than an hour I received a very nice and detailed answer. He gave a detailed explanation how his app came to scroll instead of page turn.

But his reply was "lesson learned" and he is reworking his app. His main problem is lack of funds (he's asking for backing on his web site so he can develop).

Here is a portion of his email to me:
Quote:
The lesson has been learnt and there are plans, as follows:

Very soon (almost done as we speak) there will be an "Open in.." feature added, so that users can have the best of both worlds - download in Ouiivo and open in iBooks.
Additional reading modes will be added that users can choose between. In particular, page flip mode for PDF books to start with.
Other specialized modes will be added that would prove useful for specialized contents (for example, Bibles and Chinese books could be specialized).

Another feature in the pipeline is to accept .dict format dictionaries as sync ins.

All said, however, I'm working alone and actually needing to take up employment to keep it going. So please be patient.