Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
helibird
helibird began at the beginning.

Device: dell netbook
Epub not remembering where I am

I use a Kobo Aura H20. It has e pubs bought from kobo, some direct from authors and some brought from amazon and converted to epub using calibre.
Occasionally I come across a book that always opens on the first page. I usually open the contents page and click the nearest chapter that i remember and scroll the rest of the way. Clicking the chapter puts a tick by that chapter but the next time I open the book the tick as gone back to the first chapter. I tried bookmarking the page but nothing shows up in annotations.
As it is only on a few books by the time I get round to investigating I've forgotten which ones so not sure if they are converted or not!
I am fairly sure it is a book problem not a Kobo problem as it only occurs occasionally.
Anyone got any idea what causes this and is there an easy way to fix in Calibre (I don't currently touch any of the conversion options on Mobi files just go with the default)
I'll try and remember to note down the book next time it happens.
Thanks
helibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
some books can only open to the beginning of the current section (file).
Some books only have 1 huge section
Next time you find a problem book: (remember to CANCEL when done looking)

Unpack it (U key for the selected book): Explode (button):
Look in OEBPS folder: look in the TEXT folder: those are the sections.
Only a few? One really big?
Splitting (use the Calibre editor) may help
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
OOps
I assumed Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by helibird View Post
I use a Kobo Aura H20. It has e pubs bought from kobo, some direct from authors and some brought from amazon and converted to epub using calibre.
Occasionally I come across a book that always opens on the first page. I usually open the contents page and click the nearest chapter that i remember and scroll the rest of the way. Clicking the chapter puts a tick by that chapter but the next time I open the book the tick as gone back to the first chapter. I tried bookmarking the page but nothing shows up in annotations.
As it is only on a few books by the time I get round to investigating I've forgotten which ones so not sure if they are converted or not!
I am fairly sure it is a book problem not a Kobo problem as it only occurs occasionally.
Anyone got any idea what causes this and is there an easy way to fix in Calibre (I don't currently touch any of the conversion options on Mobi files just go with the default)
I'll try and remember to note down the book next time it happens.
Thanks
Which firmware version are you running? 4.15.12920 - 4.17.13694 has a bug where sometimes an ePub won't remember where you left of. That was fixed in 4.18.13737 and now the current firmware is 4.19.14123.

So if you are no running 4.19.14123, you can manually install it f you want or you can try a sync and see if that downloads and installs it.

You can read about the new firmware at the following link which includes links to download it so you can manually install and for patching.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325559
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
helibird

ThanksJSWolf , i will try downloading the later software as you suggest
Advert
Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
helibird

OK , more help needed. I go to the downloads page and it lists 2 different downloads for Kobo Aura h2o edition 2 Mark 1 and Mark 2. Anyone know how to tell which I have?
Old 12-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ThanksJSWolf , i will try downloading the later software as you suggest
I've not had any trouble with 4.19.x remembering were I left off when reading ePub.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #8
helibird

OK, I found out I had a mark 7, navigated to the download in the browser on my kobo, not easy as print is tiny and if i make it larger it jumps all over the place, tapped on the word download. It went grey but nothing seems to be happening. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any other way to download the new version without syncing. I manage my books with Calibre and don't want them syncing from kobo
Old 12-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
OK, I found out I had a mark 7, navigated to the download in the browser on my kobo, not easy as print is tiny and if i make it larger it jumps all over the place, tapped on the word download. It went grey but nothing seems to be happening. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any other way to download the new version without syncing. I manage my books with Calibre and don't want them syncing from kobo
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325559

Go to the link above and in the second post of the thread is the links for the new firmware. Pick the one for your device and download it. Then plug your Kobo into the USB of the computer and unzip the contents of the firmware into the .kobo directory. Eject the Kobo from the computer and it will then install the new firmware.

After that's done, go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325572 and download the patches and read the thread about the patches. Aso read the following thread about the patch system. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=297338

And if you have questions, feel free to ask.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
helibird

Thanks JSWolf. Off on my holidays tomorrow so I think I'll leave it till I get back. Don't want to mess up when I haven't got time to fix things. I'll let you know how things go in the New Year. Have a great Christmas. Thanks for the help
Old 12-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks JSWolf. Off on my holidays tomorrow so I think I'll leave it till I get back. Don't want to mess up when I haven't got time to fix things. I'll let you know how things go in the New Year. Have a great Christmas. Thanks for the help
Have a good vacation and enjoy the holidays.

I too would not be doing a firmware update this close to going on vacation.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which firmware version are you running? 4.15.12920 - 4.17.13694 has a bug where sometimes an ePub won't remember where you left of. That was fixed in 4.18.13737 and now the current firmware is 4.19.14123.
@helibird: For the record, the bug @JSWolf is talking about affects epubs where the internal ToC does not have a single entry per internal file. If there is an internal file without a ToC entry pointing to it, if you are reading that part, closing and reopening the book will reopen it at the start of the book (and I can't remember if that is the first page, or the first ToC entry). If there are multiple ToC entries pointing to the file, it can also happen if the file is large. Both of these also affect the bookmarks/annotations.

If the books you are having trouble with do not match this, then the problem is something else. A corrupt database is a common cause, but, your description doesn't really fit this. If it was a corrupt database, you would probably be having problems with all books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #13
helibird

Thanks Davidfor

Thanks for the info I haven't delved into the internals of epubs yet. I'm hoping to avoid it! I'll try the software upgrade first. Happy Christmas
Old 12-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for the info I haven't delved into the internals of epubs yet. I'm hoping to avoid it! I'll try the software upgrade first. Happy Christmas
The firmware update should do it. I've not encountered any trouble with ePub forgetting where I left off using the 4.19.x firmware.

Tags
lrp, position, remembering