Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Best small tablet under $200 to replace NOOKs?

I was visiting a friend yesterday, and while we were out shopping, someone came into her home and took (among other things) my NOOK HD and her NOOKTablet. I've deregistered them with B&N so am safe that way, but we want to replace them as soon as possible.

I hesitate to buy the new NOOK Samsung tablet or used versions of the NOOKs we had, because with B&N's new "no sideloading" policy, I don't really want to be locked into their ecosystem anymore.

Would the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 be a good choice? I'd like something that takes an SD card and good battery life. Would it work with Calibre Companion and with Mac Mavericks?

Any other recommendations for small, lightweight tablets under $200? I'd prefer something we could just go into the store and buy, vs. having to order. Thanks!

Last edited by dandelioncottage; 10-25-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added description
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
I was visiting a friend yesterday, and while we were out shopping, someone came into her home and took (among other things) my NOOK HD and her NOOKTablet. I've deregistered them with B&N so am safe that way, but we want to replace them as soon as possible.

I hesitate to buy the new NOOK Samsung tablet or used versions of the NOOKs we had, because with B&N's new "no sideloading" policy, I don't really want to be locked into their ecosystem anymore.

Would the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 be a good choice? I'd like something that takes an SD card and good battery life. Would it work with Calibre Companion and with Mac Mavericks?

Any other recommendations for small, lightweight tablets under $200? I'd prefer something we could just go into the store and buy, vs. having to order. Thanks!
Can no longer buy in a store but the Hisense Sero 7 Pro is really nice. Can get still new at Amazon.

With a usb mouse and hdmi cable make a good backup for my PC when the power supply failed.

Good luck
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I have both the Nook HD and the HD+, and recently got the Kindle Fire HDX. The 16GB version is $179.

The Nook HD has been my go-to reader/tablet for a while but I am really impressed with how smoothly the Fire HDX operates; it's more akin to how the iPad is. It's got a faster processor than the Nook HD which means there is less lag in opening apps, surfing the web, and it connects to my wireless router much faster. It does not have the extra SD card capability, which is a negative - especially if you get the 16GB version (I got the 64GB one). The sound is better and will play louder than the Nook HD. You don't have access to Google Play (though there is apparently a way to do so without rooting the device) so not everything is automatically available. It does, however, allow you to download apps from "Unknown Sources" if you choose, which is needed for third-party download sites; the unrooted Nook HD doesn't have that capability. So you can get some of the things that the Amazon Appstore doesn't carry. The display is also very crisp and clear. That's an important thing to check, the display size and the DPI of any tablet you might get.

I got it for two primary reasons:

1) I can use it as a second TV to watch my cable system's programming streaming live (I can't do that with my Nooks - my cable provider's app doesn't work on them)

2) I can watch Amazon Prime Instant Videos directly, without having to view them via a flash-equipped Android browser.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
If you want to just read on it, mainly, consider the new Fire 6" tablet. You might be able to find it at your local Best Buy.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have had great success with my Samsung products (Note and Note 3) and I wish that I had gotten the Galaxy Tab instead of the Acer Iconia when I bought my tablet. The
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert