Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Dekadez
Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Non-Touch: Which one to get?

Hello everyone,

I've been postponing my eReader purchase decision since I was skeptical at first. Having experienced one in person convinced me that this is the solution for creating some luggage space when traveling abroad. I also commute a lot, and taking a physical book with me isn't always as convenient.

What am I looking for?

-A simple eReader: No music, no text-to-speech, no games. None of that is required. I can use my smartphone for those features.
-No touch. I find the eReaders work just fine with physical buttons to turn pages. All other features that might be a little smoother with a touch screen (like inputs, or dictionary features), aren't that relevant to me. I'm patient enough to go through the extra hassle.
-Lowest possible price.
-Support for PDF's isn't a must, yet it would be nice. Mostly full text PDF's.
-Ability to sideload books with ease, yet I suppose they all can do that.
-Ability to read manga would be a major plus.

I live in Belgium. The Kindle 4 sparked my interest by being a basic and cheap eReader doing almost everything I want it to do and lacking the bells and whistles that increase its price.
I don't know if Amazon charges me extra for a delivery to Belgium, or if I'm going to have problems buying books from the store.

If there are other readers that perform these desired functions better, or if I should look at another reader for other reasons: I welcome all advice.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dekadez; 03-24-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Dekadez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Which languages do you want to read in? French, Flemish? To my knowledge there is a French Amazon ebook store now, but I don't know if there are any issues with deliveries to Belgium. You'll probably have a hard time to get Kindle ebooks in Flemish.
Anyway, the Bookeen Cybook Opus (5" screen) and the PocketBook 611 (6" screen) are "no touch" alternatives to the Kindle 4. Both are available for less than 120 € here in Germany. Prices shouldn't be much different in Belgium.
You don't really save much money, though, as both the Sony T1 and the Kobo Reader are available for less than 150 € as well.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Cybook and Pocketbook both make good readers.....and multiple languages....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Dekadez
Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Pocketbook 611 goes for 149€ here. The Kindle 4 would cost me 82.15€ if no extra costs are applied (which should not be the case).

The price difference is too significant for a lack of product difference, I suppose. Unless I'm wrong about something.

Language-wise I always read in English. I can get my Dutch books at libraries, yet I tend to read mostly fantasy novels and management/marketing books, both of which are supposed to be read in English (in my experience). So that's not an issue .

The Kobo Touch retails for 129€ here, in a store nearby with excellent customer service. But like I said: I'm not too fond of touch.

Last edited by Dekadez; 03-24-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
The Pocketbook 611 goes for 149€ here. The Kindle 4 would cost me 82.15€ if no extra costs are applied (which should not be the case).

The price difference is too significant for a lack of product difference, I suppose. Unless I'm wrong about something.

Language-wise I always read in English. I can get my Dutch books at libraries, yet I tend to read mostly fantasy novels and management/marketing books, both of which are supposed to be read in English (in my experience). So that's not an issue .

The Kobo Touch retails for 129€ here, in a store nearby with excellent customer service. But like I said: I'm not too fond of touch.
Pocketbook 611 - 114€

http://www.pocketbook-readers.de/E-R...k-611::11.html
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Dekadez

Thanks for that link, I'll look into it.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
..The Kindle 4 would cost me 82.15€
It costs € 99 both in Germany and in France. Why is it so cheap in Belgium?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Hello Belgian neighbour. If you buy one you'll be the 5th person with an ereader here (judging by past 3 years I saw on metro in Brussels)

But seriously, check pixmania.be also. Fnac is way overpriced. I have Kindle Keyboard, bought it last year it was 189 € altogether, tax of some 40 € included, delivery from US took 3 days. No problem buying from Amazon.com except what is georestricted (not available to Europeans) I have Cybook Opus which is no frills non touch reader and I like it a lot (prefer it to the Kindle). There are some sites with ebooks in Flemish but I am now posting from work so can't remember.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There are some easy ways to get around geo graphic restrictions, which exist for all e-readers and e-bookstores. If you get the Kindle 4 there are easy ways to get access to the US based store.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Focus on what you read, the titles you like or would like to buy.

Once you validate that, check online bookstores, like Sony, Amazon, etc. Compare prices. That way, you can confirm if that device that you like so much, is backed up by a solid online bookstore too.

To me, the available books you can later buy and read, are as important as the reader that I will be using.

For instance, if you don't buy too many books or you read copyright free classics instead, which are usually free and available on most formats , pretty much any ereader will work for you.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-27-2012 at 06:58 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
watch out for the extras, namely the cover: in this respect, with a Pocketbook 360 plus you also get the hardcover, so no need for anything else. If you buy it from the shop of the German pocketbook site it cost €112.63 including delivery (see here), since as you sign up you get a €5 "coupon" taht you can redeem immediately (no I do not work for Pocketbook , but just boght two PB360+ as presents). I should also add, as a disclaimer, that I am a Pocketbook enthusiast who does not know better
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Hi Dekadez,

If you want a really simple no-frills e-reader with a decent screen take a look at:
http://www.redcoon.be/index.php/cmd/...eless_eReader/
Have never used one, so can't recommend it but when I was doing my own research for an ebook reader, I came pretty close to buying it. After S/H it comes closer to the 97E mark.

Which is why I personally went with the Kindle NT4. I got mine from Ebay, shipped from the UK for about 113E. The reason I went with it was that I found that ebooks for the kindle were generally a euro or two cheaper via amazon. So after a few purchases I would be coming out ahead. It all depends on how much (and what) you read of course. So far, I've been able to buy pretty much everything I've wanted so the geo restrictions mentioned by Chi Cygni haven't been an issue. Something to keep in mind though.

If you know someone in France or Germany, you can get it for 99E shipped. Rumors abound that Amazon.nl will be coming soon, which will probably handle the Benelux market so if you can wait till ?, might wanna do that.

Bebook also offers some good deals on refurbished units, but again can't recommend it as I've never used it.
http://mybebook.com/6-inch-ereaders/...pbtbkemks755m1

Check out (if you haven't already)
http://www.bol.com/nl/index.html
too, they have a decent selection of readers and also
http://www.ereaderstore.be
these sites should help you out with your research. As far as Manga goes, can't help you there. Good luck!

Last edited by VaporPunk; 03-29-2012 at 02:45 AM.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
There are rumours that Amazon is going to open a Benelux store this year (I think I read they're planning to open before summer). If you want a Kindle and are able to wait a couple of months it might be worth it since you won't have to pay import duties and shipping fee.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
Dekadez

Aha, that is something else. I can easily delay my purchase, there's no rush. I'll await the Amazon Benelux shop and see what they have to offer.

Thanks for that little piece of news
Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Cybook - I know that a lot of readers allow for non-english books however cybook has taken this to a whole new level.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote