Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please revert change to 4.21's editor

Edit book: In dark mode, make the preview panel also dark.
Closes tickets: 1888071

Please revert this. The white background for the preview is better as it's more like what we'll see. I don't read in night mode so being able to see the preview with a white background make it show up as it will when actually reading.

An option to change it to dark is OK as long as the default is white.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are going to be staring at a white background anyway, dont use dark mode, whats the point??
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I can see why some users would like the option for the Preview screen to match the rest of the Editor when using dark mode but I've just been using v4.22 to edit an epub with a lot of footnotes and trying to read the default blue for anchor links on a dark background is very difficult.

My personal choice would be for an option to choose my own background colour for Preview, in the same way that I have a free choice of the background colour for the Code view.

ETA: If the CSS defines a background colour I'd expect that to override anything I'd set in Editor prefs.

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-31-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
ETA: If the CSS defines a background colour I'd expect that to override anything I'd set in Editor prefs.
There is no way to do that, and indeed you should not rely on it. If you set the colors for body/html they get overriden by the viewer as well. So it makes perfect sense for the editor preview to override them.

As for allowing the user to choose bg/fg, sure, someday when I have a moment.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no way to do that, and indeed you should not rely on it. If you set the colors for body/html they get overriden by the viewer as well. So it makes perfect sense for the editor preview to override them.
I didn't know that, but anyway fine by me. None of my books specify any colour for body or html.

Quote:
As for allowing the user to choose bg/fg, sure, someday when I have a moment.
Should I open an enhancement ticket?
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Should I open an enhancement ticket?
Yes, please do, I am totally swamped at the moment.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, done Enhancement #1889925
Old 07-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can we at least have a code reversal until the enhancement is done?
Old 07-31-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:

Calibre viewer overrides a {color: xxx} in dark mode. But you can try filter to set brightness and invert, to make the selected elements look white.

Don't know if the Viewer/Editor supports Prefers-Color-Scheme.

Last edited by nqk; 08-01-2020 at 12:08 AM.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
@kovid,

Thanks for creating this enhancement so quickly. I look forward to using it in the next calibre release.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thank you very much for the enhancement. I look forward to it.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You are welcome
Old 08-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #13
shotsky
Enthusiast
shotsky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
If you are going to be staring at a white background anyway, dont use dark mode, whats the point??
The preview should appear as the ebook appears. The code works better for me in dark mode. This worked previously, and only recently changed. Please restore the ability to have the preview pane in normal mode. I actually cannot read the preview pane because of the black background and dark blue text. And when there is a 'white' box in the preview, the text is a very light gray, and that can't be read either.
shotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotsky View Post
The preview should appear as the ebook appears. The code works better for me in dark mode. This worked previously, and only recently changed. Please restore the ability to have the preview pane in normal mode. I actually cannot read the preview pane because of the black background and dark blue text. And when there is a 'white' box in the preview, the text is a very light gray, and that can't be read either.
You have something wrong with either your system of the eBook's CSS. The text is not supposed to be gray. It is supposed to be whitish. And as for the white box, that again is because of your eBook. There is no white box by default. The dark blue text are links and that can be overcome until the next Calibre with something like...
Code:
a {
  color: yellow;
}
Just remove that when you are finished editing your book.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is supposed to be whitish.
If the color of the text is defined on CSS, calibre Editor will not override it, doesn't matter if in Dark Mode or no.
Many books have colors set for text (and background in some cases). In this case, there might be CSS rules for white background and gray text.
A good way to avoid this problem is to use "color: inherit". This way, text will adapt from black to white when activating Dark Mode.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote