Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Summer Movies '11

Well, the last major studio release for the summer season dropped... So what's been your favorite summer movie this year?

I'm going to have to cast my vote for Fast Five. Yeah, it's loud and mindless fun, but it was fun as hell. It doesn't hurt that I know two of the actors in the movie who also gave me positive blurbs for my writing.

Captain America is a close second place, though. That was fun, too. I'd like to see Miranda July's independent film, The Future, but that's not out yet in wide distribution.

In retrospect, I think I enjoyed Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life for its amazing cinematography more than the whole of the movie itself. I think it'll grow on me, though, as Malick's films do.
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Ugh. I've watched many movies this year, but not so many summer block busters. Only Season of the Witch, Priest and X-Men First Class. About to watch Captain America.

Season of the Witch was pretty... short. The trip through the forest was supposed to be much more impressive than that. But actions were okay, and I liked the movie because I like Nicholas Cage

Priest was definitely awesome for a block buster: action, special effects, actors and actress and because the vamp heat was never down low.

X-Men First Class was okay and it was nice to know them from the very beginning, however I still prefer X-Men Origin: Wolverine for Hugh Jackman
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Captain America was good! It actually led to a mini movie marathon. I went home and watched Iron-Man and Iron-Man 2, Next on my list is The Hulk, and then Thor when it comes out on DVD in September. All of this, so that I can familiarize myself with the upcoming Avengers! Marvel (and all involved) is creating a kind movie magic, by adding trailers to, and cameos in all of their Avenger related works. Its genius, five years in the making. (And this from a woman who hasn't read more than an Archie comic book ).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
[B]Next on my list is The Hulk, and then Thor when it comes out on DVD in September.
The Hulk? That one with Edward Norton?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
The Hulk? That one with Edward Norton?
THIS one. Yes, with Edward Norton. It is apparently part of their grand scheme.
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
it is part of the scheme lol.
the averngers comes out next year, it's next years 'blockbuster'.

you have iron man, iron man 2, the hulk (ed norton), thor and captain america.
unfortunately hawkeye doesn't get his own movie.

if you stayed in the theatre after the credits of captain america they showed the new trailer for the avengers. can't wait for that.

cap america was really good, i liked it all the way through. they did it really well and didn't make it too cheese.

i still need to go see potter but so far america has been my fav. i love all the comic movies, grew up reading and buying comics weekly. as for xmen origins, best of the xmen so far. it had class and was done right.

might go see cowbows and aliens but not sure on that one.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
it is part of the scheme lol.
the averngers comes out next year, it's next years 'blockbuster'.

you have iron man, iron man 2, the hulk (ed norton), thor and captain america.
unfortunately hawkeye doesn't get his own movie.

if you stayed in the theatre after the credits of captain america they showed the new trailer for the avengers. can't wait for that.

cap america was really good, i liked it all the way through. they did it really well and didn't make it too cheese.

i still need to go see potter but so far america has been my fav. i love all the comic movies, grew up reading and buying comics weekly. as for xmen origins, best of the xmen so far. it had class and was done right.

might go see cowbows and aliens but not sure on that one.
Yes, we saw the trailer, and I can't wait to see the movie. I got a kick out of seeing Fury in Iron Man 2.

My hubby wants to see Cowboys and Aliens. I'm not so sure.

The only other movie I've seen this summer was Transformers 3. It was okay, nothing special, although the 3D part was fun.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
Ahhhhh, I remember now, Tony Starks appeared in the last scene and looked like he made the General a offer he couldn't refuse my friends and I thought they would make more movies about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
[...] you have iron man, iron man 2, the hulk (ed norton), thor and captain america.
[...]
I didn't see Thor 'cause the dude looked so stupid IMO And now they stopped showing it! Damn, I guess I'll have to catch up with this 'grand scheme'. I'll see if the DVD is out...
Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Ahhhhh, I remember now, Tony Starks appeared in the last scene and looked like he made the General a offer he couldn't refuse my friends and I thought they would make more movies about that!
Really? I hope it makes sense with my seeing the movies out of order.

Quote:
I didn't see Thor 'cause the dude looked so stupid IMO And now they stopped showing it! Damn, I guess I'll have to catch up with this 'grand scheme'. I'll see if the DVD is out...
The DVD is scheduled to be out in September.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
maianhvk
whimsical

Quote:
Really? I hope it makes sense with my seeing the movies out of order.
Yeah, at the very end of the movie when everyone thinks it's all over (I don't remember though if it's before or after the casting list).

You can take it for granted, 'cause I'm real sick when it comes to movie. I watch my favorite ones over and over and over again until I lose count So I usually know the script and the exact things they do in a particular scene by heart...

Quote:
The DVD is scheduled to be out in September.
Oh. Gee, I guess I'll have to watch Capt America first! That would make things a bit harder...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Yeah, at the very end of the movie when everyone thinks it's all over (I don't remember though if it's before or after the casting list)

Oh. Gee, I guess I'll have to watch Capt America first! That would make things a bit harder...
you don't have to watch them in order. you don't have to watch them at all, they really don't tie in. it's a matter of getting all of the intro's out of the way so they can get right into the avengers movie.

nick fury at the end of each movie (after the credits) recruits all of the avengers, it's SHIELD w/ nick fury and the super heroes oh and i forgot black cat (scarlett johanssen is in it (sp)).

so you can watch them all or you can just watch avengers.

** cool tidbit and possible spoiler ***
Spoiler:
Howard Stark in Captain America, awesome little sneak in. the world fair at the beginning in ny, wicked awesome.

i saw transformers 3, it was what you'd expect. a lot of things blowing up and a good action flick. it almost felt like a stand alone movie, actually all three felt weird and didn't really feel connected. it wasn't so much as three movies that tied in to fully explain one big story, it was more some characters crossed over but it was three separate movies. meh. i liked them, i remember seeing optimus prime for the very first time in movie 1 and the slow mo 3d scenes were definitely cool.

i was going to see cowboys and aliens tonight but i passed, holding out hope someone wants to see the last potter in imax with me this week.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Priest was pretty good, as was Thor.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Both in 3D.

Last edited by The Terminator; 08-06-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Atlas Shrugged?
All right I didn't actually see it since it never came anywhere near my home town and it was released well before summer... but it was the last movie I actually wanted to go see.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired

I agree with William for Atlas Shrugged (I liked the book) but the movie just doesn't look like it will be any good. Maybe if they had put it in the 40's it would be better. And had a higher budget.