Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
KO-Reader Update = CRASH :(

How did that happen?

Golly I so loved the KOReader, too!

I just updated to latest version and now it won't work? It opens with the 3 page manual and I can't get out of it. The manual says to swipe down from the top to activate the menu. But when I do that, the program sends me back to the default Kindle menu with the Kindle books and I have to reload KOReader, repeat ad nauseum.

Even if I try to start with file manager, I get the quick start guide anyway.

Sometimes the KOReader even resets the Kindle? ACK!

What am I doing wrong, I wonder?

Last edited by ThomasMcKean; 04-21-2017 at 09:08 PM.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Is the device jail broken?

Are you running the factory firmware build used to jail break it or did you install one of the consumer firmware builds?

What is the current firmware version and which device?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is the device jail broken?

Are you running the factory firmware build used to jail break it or did you install one of the consumer firmware builds?

What is the current firmware version and which device?
Yes it is jailbroken. It was working fine for over a year with a whole mess of updates and then when I updated about an hour ago it just stopped working.

Firmware is 5.8.8 and it is a PW3.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

This is nuts. No matter what I try, I get the same response.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Reset.

Is there a way to uninstall this? I can't find anything about that on the web...?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #5
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

K apparently I am not the only one having problems. See links below.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/2797

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/2798
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you re-install everything after the update to 5.8.8?

What are some of the things you are trying?
A sequence of the word: "reset" means nothing to me.

Is there a way to uninstall what, exactly?

This is the first report of anything similar, we need specific details.

The github project has its own support people, we don't deal with those reports here.

PS:
Keep it away from connecting to the Internet, there is a 5.8.9 update in the air.

Last edited by knc1; 04-21-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Did you re-install everything after the update to 5.8.8?

What are some of the things you are trying?
A sequence of the word: "reset" means nothing to me.

Is there a way to uninstall what, exactly?

This is the first report of anything similar, we need specific details.

The github project has its own support people, we don't deal with those reports here.
I didn't need to reinstall anything. Everything worked fine. Until the update just now.

Is there a way to uninstall KOReader.

When I say RESET, I mean just that. The whole Kindle resets. The pic of the guy reading under the tree with the progress bar resetting the Kindle. This happens when I follow the directions on the quick start guide, which is now the only thing I can read. Starting with the file manager does nothing but load the quick start guide. Starting with file manager ASAP does nothing but load the quick start guide. Starting with file manager no framework does nothing but load the quick start guide. "Swiping down from the top of the screen" (which the omnipresent quick start guide states will open the menu) only returns me to the Kindle menu or RESETS the Kindle. Tapping on the top of the screen, which opened the menu before, now does nothing.

The entire KOReader is now nothing more than three pages of quick start guide. That and a Kindle RESET.

I don't get it? Whoever was programming that KOReader really seemed to know what they were doing. It was flawless until now. A great piece of work.

What happened?

If you would like to see this for yourself (not recommended), do an OTA update of the KOReader. If it works for you, then maybe it is a problem with my own particular Kindle? I don't know what I coulda done, but maybe?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

The update of what?
The Kindle update to 5.8.8 or the update of KOreader?

Can you see USB storage when you plug the Kindle into a PC?

You mention the label of a KUAL menu entry, so it sounds like you can do something other than watch KOreader restart.
What is available?

I don't use KOreader, in fact, I rarely use a Kindle for any purpose that Amazon intended it to be used for (like reading things).

Last edited by knc1; 04-21-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

To specify, the 5.8.8 update happened a while ago. It did not effect the KOReader, which worked fine.

However, upon updating the KOReader earlier this evening, it stopped working.

And yes, I do see a mass storage device when I plug it in. It comes up as Drive G:

Until this is fixed, please just keep using the Kindle the way you are now.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
I didn't need to reinstall anything. Everything worked fine. Until the update just now.

Is there a way to uninstall KOReader.

When I say RESET, I mean just that. The whole Kindle resets. The pic of the guy reading under the tree with the progress bar resetting the Kindle. This happens when I follow the directions on the quick start guide, which is now the only thing I can read. Starting with the file manager does nothing but load the quick start guide. Starting with file manager ASAP does nothing but load the quick start guide. Starting with file manager no framework does nothing but load the quick start guide. "Swiping down from the top of the screen" (which the omnipresent quick start guide states will open the menu) only returns me to the Kindle menu or RESETS the Kindle. Tapping on the top of the screen, which opened the menu before, now does nothing.

The entire KOReader is now nothing more than three pages of quick start guide. That and a Kindle RESET.

I don't get it? Whoever was programming that KOReader really seemed to know what they were doing. It was flawless until now. A great piece of work.

What happened?

If you would like to see this for yourself (not recommended), do an OTA update of the KOReader. If it works for you, then maybe it is a problem with my own particular Kindle? I don't know what I coulda done, but maybe?
That is a restart not a reset.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #11
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
That is a restart not a reset.
In that case consider me corrected.

Even so, a restart does not seem appropriate under these conditions.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
To specify, the 5.8.8 update happened a while ago. It did not effect the KOReader, which worked fine.

However, upon updating the KOReader earlier this evening, it stopped working.

And yes, I do see a mass storage device when I plug it in. It comes up as Drive G:

Until this is fixed, please just keep using the Kindle the way you are now.
Plug the Kindle into your PC.
While viewing and browsing the the visible directory structure -
You should find a directory named koreader (I don't recall if they follow our standardized plan of putting it under /extensions - so it might be anywhere in the tree).
Delete it.

If you find something named after koreader under the /extensions directory - that is the KUAL menu entries.
Those are not part of the problem, you can leave them alone.
Once the koreader directory is removed, the restarts should stop.

Note:
There is a restart counter, I can't think of why it hasn't exceeded its limit (3 or 4 restarts).
But since it hasn't, we will just proceed cleaning up the old KOreader before you install the version that is known to work.

- - - -

Not using a Kindle for Amazon's intended purpose does not lessen my system's knowledge (I have been at this sort of business for over 1/2 century - one learns things in that amount of time).

So do not panic just yet.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Find solution here and install the same:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1087
It does not matter if the broken version is only partially removed.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #14
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate

Quote:
Find solution here and install the same:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1087
It does not matter if the broken version is only partially removed.
You are correct! That did indeed solve my problem. My bookmarks were deleted (despite my trying to save them) but the KOReader is working again. YAY!!!

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
In that case consider me corrected.

Even so, a restart does not seem appropriate under these conditions.
And next time there is a problem, you can use the correct term and not leave the help desk wondering what the kindle is doing.
And glad you got it worked out.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote