Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2024, 03:12 PM   #1
Freewheelin
Freewheelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Anyone know how to change DNS?

Does anyone know how I might change the DNS resolver my Kobo uses? I guess I’ll need to plug it into my Mac and make a change that way. I’m also wondering if this change, if possible, would persists across firmware updates?

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions
Freewheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 03:34 PM   #2
bluepeter
Enthusiast
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
Apologies if I'm being stupid, but I didn't think that Kobos directly use any DNS. Mine attaches to my Wi-Fi and then simply relies on the DNS programmed into my router.
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2024, 03:48 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Normally a Kobo uses the DNS resolvers from the DHCP server (likely your wireless router). You can try manually editing the /etc/resolv.conf file however I think it's likely to overwritten on the next WiFi connection and/or DHCP renewal.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 04:05 PM   #4
Freewheelin
Freewheelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Normally a Kobo uses the DNS resolvers from the DHCP server (likely your wireless router). You can try manually editing the /etc/resolv.conf file however I think it's likely to overwritten on the next WiFi connection and/or DHCP renewal.
Ah I see, thanks for your response. Yeah there’d be no point if it just got overwritten. Thanks.
Freewheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:40 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's easier to change the DNS the Router advertises. Though usually it's best if it's your own ISP. They are usually less evil than Google (though not always).

Why change it?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2024, 02:37 AM   #6
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's easier to change the DNS the Router advertises. Though usually it's best if it's your own ISP. They are usually less evil than Google (though not always).

Why change it?
There might be better options:
https://youtu.be/YnSv8ylLfPw?t=827&si=ubc25qN5K4qVfaQg
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 04:19 AM   #7
trott3r
Enthusiast
trott3r began at the beginning.

Device: kobo sage considering boox
Cloudflare, quad 9 ate more privacy respecting DNS providers.

I use my pinhole DNS server with cloudflare
trott3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 01:21 PM   #8
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I've never understood the idea that lots of people sending their queries to the same few resolvers for free is somehow more private than spread out to the business's they already have a service contract with and see all of your traffic anyway. You're relying on the big resolvers to be honest about providing a free service instead of holding accountable the ones you are paying money to.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connectivity, kobo