Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #1
lvirden
lvirden began at the beginning.

Device: kindle android app and cloud reader
Question investigating two immediate needs

Hello.
I am a new user here, in search of pointers, advice, etc. I have no laptop or desktop right now...just using my android and web apps.

As a former IT development programmer and admin, I really am nervous about Amazon cloud library being the sole storage facility for my library. As an example of what is already in the pipeline as problems is the future shutdown of Amazon drive... I have not seen what there plans are for non photo files located there.
So of course I would love to find a strategy to backup my Amazon cloud library.
I have no physical kindle, and there isn't one with enough memory to download my current library anyways.
Are there any apps which would provide a backup of the files to an alternate storage site such as Google drive, etc?

The other frustrating issue I have is that when I send a file of mine or an ebook sent to me by an author, the file seldom has the correct meta data when I attempt to view it. I would love to be able to edit the file meta data in the document portion of the cloud library so the covers, title, author, etc are correctly displayed.

Thank you for your time and thoughts
lvirden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Unfortunately, there is no point backing up anything with DRM. And for DRM removal a computer is needed.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Buy a physical Kindle (make sure a s/h one isn't blacklisted).
Register to your account.
Go to Content & Devices and download for PC transfer via USB to that Kindle.
Download all the BOUGHT files. Back up that. Do not download Kindle Unlimited files, if available, as they are not owned by you, that is a subscription library.

Copy and paste your Kindle serial number from Device in Content & Devices.

Do not ever make that serial number public.
Don't ever upload or shared the downloaded files. Don't use any Internet / Cloud backup. An extra USB HDD in a padded cash box kept at a relative/friends house.

Install Calibre and download the deDRM plugin from the NoDRM Git site. Put your Kindle serial number in that.

Load all the downloaded files into Calibre. Use Calibre's backup to make a backup. Store an offsite copy.

Note MS One Drive, Google, DropBox etc are NOT backup solutions. Best viewed as collaboration, sync or sharing solutions.

Only give files you write or Public Domain ones to other people.

If you don't do this as a minimum, then despite when you go to Amazon ebook page of a bought Kindle ebook having "You own this", you do not have any archive of what you bought.

Some Kindle ebooks have no DRM (publisher request), but Amazon puts DRM on all titles that should not have DRM if the KFX format is used (direct download to all but oldest Kindles and by default PC app and Android App. The iPhone & iPad works differently with Amazon and I don't have either.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The OP said, "I have no laptop or desktop right now...just using my android and web apps."
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:30 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The OP said, "I have no laptop or desktop right now...just using my android and web apps."
Yeah. Well, there's no way to back up Kindle books without a Windows/MacOS/Linux device.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
One wonders at a former IT & Programmer having no PC.
I've several 64 bit PC boxes and screens got for nothing from a small local company getting laptops.

Linux Mint 19.3 32 bit is still supported (though only Calibre up to 5.44). It and 64 Bit Linux only need 1 G RAM. A decent S/H box PC & screen or old laptop with maybe 64 bit CPU and 4G RAM is likely under $250 / €250 / £250.

I'd give a spare laptop (or PC + screen) free to any caller I thought needy. I won't ship.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote