Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2023, 06:18 PM   #1
bookloverCA
bookloverCA began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Libra 2 becomes very slow or freezes in viewing annotation with Wi-Fi on

I recently bought a Libra 2. I enjoy a lot about the unique features that are not in my Kindles. I made many highlights on the book I am reading. I found that my reader would either be very slow or simply froze when I opened annotations. Most of the time, I was not able to scroll through the items on annotations. Almost every time when I changed the filter, e.g. from "All" to "Bookmarks", it froze. The only way to get out of it was reboot.

It has been very frustrating. There is a thread below about Wi-Fi causing the device to be very slow. I just gave it try. To my surprise, the problem was GONE!!! Though it was still slow, it was much more bearable. I have been experimenting it for half hour. Never had a need to reboot. I am pretty sure that it is the problem.

I think the problem is that Kobo tries to update the annotations when you open it. It may also try to synchronize all the items in the reader including articles, annotations of other books, or even Over Drive status. The code doesn't synchronize the annotations of the current book only. Also the code may not be optimized.

Once Wi-Fi is disabled, Kobo knows there is no need to synchronize. Hence, it works. BTW, my Wi-Fi is working. It is not that the device was trying to connect to the network.

I don't think I can live with remembering to disable Wi-Fi every time when checking annotation. How can I report the bug to Kobo?

My firmware version is 4.37.21586 (7/6/2023). It is the latest. Thanks for your attention.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=355501
bookloverCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:55 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had WiFi on and my Libra 2 never slowed down. But then. I've never started a sync with it to the Kobo store.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert