Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Sony PRS 600

A friend of mine has offered me her barely used Sony PRS 600. What year did this e reader come out and is it worth buying it or is it considered a *antique* now because of the 650 and the new model coming out soon?

MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I think it came out in 2008 or possibly late 2007. I had one until Sony had a promotion to send in old models to get $75 off the new models, then I got a 650.

Compared to the 650, or pretty much any other ebook reader, the screen on the 600 is terrible. There's an obvious glare because of how they did the touchscreen and the contrast is bad due to the extra layer on top (this is fixed in the 650). Someone else can probably get more technical with the details. Also some of the screens fade in direct sunlight, to the point where the text is not visible at all. For these reasons it's not popular, not necessarily because it's "old." Many people still use and love their PRS-500s and 505s and those are older still.

How much is your friend wanting to sell the 600 for? I would say it's not worth buying unless you're desperate. I could see wanting it in case Sony has another $75 promotion, then you can send it in for that. But that will only help you if you eventually want to buy a new Sony. If you already have a Kobo then you won't have a use for the 600.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you really want a Sony, wait for the T1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The screen of the Sony 600 is worse than any other E Ink reader. Not worth buying, for any amount.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I had a look at it and it looks shite so I won't be buying it and for the price she asked I was laughing.

Thanks for the replies.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert