Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
rpavlik
rpavlik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question Any way to debug a javascript/mesquite/waf app?

Howdy all! Thanks to the community for your great resources, recently got a second-hand KT to jailbreak and use as an experimentation platform. (Turns out it's actually a pretty nice e-reader too, especially since there are so many software-related ebooks out there for free, plus KOReader's feed downloads... )

So I'm working on a TODO-list/work time tracking tool, going thru HTML and Javascript as my platform. I've got an installable KUAL extension package, it's all being fired up by mesquite, and at least the version I've made mainly with super ancient JQuery 1.x is actually mostly working. (Got Parcel 2 and Gulp together handling generating things from templates, compiling scss, bundling javascripts and css, and transpiling my more modern dialect of js to something the Kindle can deal with... Yes, I'll have it open sourced, it's actually already on my GitHub but not in a great form and kind of a mess.)

However, troubleshooting issues is my biggest challenge, given the lack of access to any error logs from the web browser, etc. As an example, I have a much nicer version I've made with Svelte.dev and I've even gone to the trouble of verifying that it works in Safari 5.x for Windows, which is apparently a pretty similar version of WebKit. However, that just shows a blank screen on the Kindle despite working perfect in the ancient Safari. I've tried https://www.hnldesign.nl/work/code/m...obile-devices/ but it also does not work, presumably too new. There are references in various mesquite and pillow javascripts to some built-in logging APIs (kindle.dev.log, etc) but I think the closest I've gotten is a warning (in showlog) that the arguments were incorrect.

Is there any good way to troubleshoot/diagnose issues with html+css+javascript apps on the Kindle? Any point in working further with these? I've looked thru a few examples: the apps that come in the root partition, plus Komic (which is a very sophisticated app, very impressed), but nothing clear to me. I'm not using any Kindle-specific functionality in the pillow or mesquite javascript directories, really: I've got a logging function that will pick whether it attempts wrapping console.log or kindle.dev.log based on if it's a kindle, but that's as fancy as I got.

Thanks for any assistance!

(Offhand: if anyone can clarify what the difference/distinction between mesquite and pillow are, I'd be pleased to hear: my best guess is that pillow is the kindle-specific js objects and js scripts provided by the webkitgtk browser, and mesquite is an app for launching "web widget" applications that may or may not use those capabilities, but the fact there's a directory of nearly-entirely-distinct javascript for both mesquite and pillow, doing some similar things, has me a little bit confused.)
rpavlik is offline   Reply With Quote