Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Mind of a Goldfish, Body of a Sloth!

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? I've discovered I'm much more impatient with books on my iLiad than I am with paper books. If I'm reading an ebook and I'm not sure I'm enjoying it, I'll switch to one of the other 1500 books I have at my fingertips. Consequently, my iLiad is full of half-finished ebooks. Whereas, I'm discovering, now that my iLiad is off to be repaired, I have more patience with a paper book, because to change partway through means to get up and go to the bookshelf and find something else. And besides, if you don't finish a paper book, then all those resources used up creating it are wasted.

Or is it just me?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
LOL! See my long post from earlier this morning https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=225584#post225584
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I do find myself tempted to do exactly what you are saying and have had to discipline myself to finish the damn thing. Probably the psychological difference between the solid actual pBook in your hand and just the digits in teh eBook reader.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
It is not just you. I do find myself abandoning a book if I'm not getting into a lot more easily on my 505.

But then, due to the access to free ebooks, I find I am experimenting with a lot more authors than when I buy pbooks.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Oh. When I say "free" I mean "Free and Legal"

Just thought I'd clarify.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I am finding that I flit a lot more with the Kindle than with a p-book. Probably for the exact reason you posit: Laziness.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I do it too, but I'm not sure it's JUST laziness. All the out-of-copyrite books are on my Kindle because "I ought to read this someday". But since most are only
"ought" not "I really really want to" then I don't feel obliged to finish them if I don't like them. In paper, I wouldn't have picked them up to begin with. So at least I'm giving them a try, this way!

Books that I've purchased, I usually finish. Usually.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i do that, but not necessarily because the book doesn't please me ; it's because i haven't quite gotten over the overwhelming novelty of having SO MANY BOOKS available to me so easily, so i keep starting one, and then rather than finishing it at the next session i think "oooh i forgot i had THAT ONE on there !! let's take a look !!" and sometimes before i've even opened i spy yet another one that is even MORE tempting. sometimes by the time i can decide on just ONE book to read i've run out of reading time. but that's sort of part of the fun, to me. i'm still enjoying having such mind-boggling quantities of new reading material *right* *there*. plus even before i like to read 2 or more books at the same time and switch back and forth depending on my mood.

but yes, my liseuse is full of partially read books, and i'm going to have start finishing some of them soon, because it's getting ridiculous.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm usually working through several books at any given time anyway. I'm a bit more prone to switch out of one book into another on the iLiad, perhaps, but not by much. But since I have access to so many books and samples of books, I do browse around a lot. Kind of like how I behave in libraries, before I settle on something.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Now, there is hope for us domesticated sloths.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Hallelujah! I barely suffled a few laps at the walking track on Wed, today is Friday, and I am still so sore I just want to lie down and get my feet rubbed. Not out of shape - amorphous blob is a shape, right? I need that exercise pill! Unless it's like this stuff they sell in the health food stores, you know, called "Jogging in a Jug," which is basically a "purgatory." As in "the purge from heck."
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hallelujah! I barely suffled a few laps at the walking track on Wed, today is Friday, and I am still so sore I just want to lie down and get my feet rubbed. Not out of shape - amorphous blob is a shape, right? I need that exercise pill! Unless it's like this stuff they sell in the health food stores, you know, called "Jogging in a Jug," which is basically a "purgatory." As in "the purge from heck."
One soothing chocolate wrap on its way...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Yippeeeee! This means I can stop working on the furniture reshuffling plan I started last month. Too much heavy lifting to relocate the treadmill (currently folded and tucked into a corner behind the stack of plastic bins in my craft room) to the dining room where I could actually leave it unfolded and look out the window while walking.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
I

But then, due to the access to free ebooks, I find I am experimenting with a lot more authors than when I buy pbooks.
Ditto
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
My thought is that something like this could help me get back into shape. I want to be able to ride my bike to work, and while I'm trying to build my way up to that level of endurance, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to make it before oil prices make it impossible to get there any other way. (It's only 7 miles, but that's if you measure flat distance. It's quite a bit longer than that if you take the hills into account! )
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness