Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-11-2022, 12:43 AM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Best Fantasy Books of All Time

I've been looking for a some new books to read and this article popped up in my feed today, so I thought I'd take a look:

Link: https://booksofbrilliance.com/2022/1...s-of-all-time/

Quote:
The fantasy genre is one of the most diverse and creative genres there is. It has led to many amazing fantasy worlds and has created some of the most iconic characters to exist. That is why we have decided to list the best fantasy books of all time!
  • The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
  • A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
  • Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
  • The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  • A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
  • Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
  • Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
  • The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
  • Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
  • The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
  • The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett
  • The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
  • Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
  • Storm Front by Jim Butcher
  • A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
  • Watership Down by Richard Adams
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
  • Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
  • The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
  • The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
I would rather talk about less mainstream books like The Blade Itself, Mistborn, Gideon the Ninth, and Six of Crows.
They have some great books here and I enjoyed almost all of the ones I have read. I do wonder why they have only the first book in these series listed though, in many of these series I don't think the first book is the best, so this feels more like a "best fantasy series" list to me. I wish they said that.

If it is best "books", I don't think they've read the rest of Discworld. While opinions differ on which book in the other series is the best, I don't think I've seen anyone say the first book of Discworld is better than any of the City Watch or Witches or Moist von Lipwig or Tiffany Aching or DEATH books. Even those who insist that you read it in published order.

Anyway, I've read either the first book of or the entire series of the items that are bolded in the list above. So, which of the ones that are not bolded should I try in the next year?

I own one of the series that isn't bolded, so I will probably start it at some point; although, I've had it for over 8 years already. The only two I haven't heard of are the Six of Crows and The Dark is Rising.

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-11-2022 at 01:00 AM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:32 AM   #2
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Yes, that was a weird list. I definitively agree with you about Pratchett.

They also wrote:
Quote:
we did have to consider some books that while they weren’t our cup of tea, they are still beloved by many
I assume that explains the presence of Harry Potter there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
So, which of the ones that are not bolded should I try in the next year?
The only ones I've read and remember of those are Outlander and Wrinkle in Time.

Wrinkle in Time is good -- it's got the "only you can save the multiverse" chosen one which I'm not overly fond of, but I like the characters and it does interesting things with the universe.

Outlander is a very mixed bag. Well written, the kind of book where you turn pages to find out what happens next, but some annoying things here and there that took me out of the story -- for instance, the protagonist was a nurse during WWII but is dismayed at the sight of blood in an early scene.
The worst thing, which I didn't really notice until after I'd finished it and looked back at it, is that the book has exactly two people who are described as queer, and both of them are rapists. It's possible, and even plausible, that this isn't intentional homophobia -- that the author only remembered that queer people exist when she wanted to place the hero in a dangerous situation, as opposed to intentionally wanting to portray queer people as bad -- but it put me off the series.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2022, 05:46 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Some of those are great, but IMO some are merely OK and some are junk.

Any such list is always either a popularity contest, biased by how well known a book is or totally subject to taste of a person or small group, sometimes with an agenda.

Also I think some authors listed there have much better books.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:58 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
which of the ones that are not bolded should I try in the next year?
I own one of the series that isn't bolded, so I will probably start it at some point; although, I've had it for over 8 years already. The only two I haven't heard of are the Six of Crows and The Dark is Rising.
The Dark is Rising is pretty famous. Bought the S/H pb recently from World of Books and about 20% in and think maybe a bit over hyped. It's not bad. I'll watch the DVD later (€1 at CEX).

Bought Northern Lights not long after release. Thought it obnoxious, so didn't bother with series. I think HP is better and it's hardly original or well written despite being reasonably enjoyable.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: Never heard of it or E M.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo: Never heard of it or L B.

Storm Front by Jim Butcher: Heard of both, not read. Not in TBR pile.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle: Heard of both, not read. Not in TBR pile.

Watership Down by Richard Adams: A classic. Some of his books very much more darker and disturbing. Possibly not for kids that like cuddly bunnies.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon: Don't know

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir: Don't know

It's an odd list.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-11-2022 at 06:00 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:44 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A Wrinkle in Time is a YA classic and should be read on that basis alone; it’s also a quick read and while there are sequels, I wouldn’t bother. I suspect it’s showing its age a bit and there’s a Christian slant to it (although not nearly as overt as the Narnia books); it’s also before its time in making a girl the protagonist. I’ve lost track of how old your girls are, but it would be a great book to read with one/two/three of them if they haven’t.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is highly overrated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is highly overrated.
I heard him talking on the writingexcuses podcast. He frequently harangued the dominance of white males in fantasy literature. I tried his book, due to its reputation. I found it dull.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:07 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I don't understand how A Wrinkle in Time got its classic YA status. Probably there was not much around when it was published, and now the children that read it have grown to adulthood and remember it fondly.

The Night Circus is hype. I saw the author's original pitch for publication, and it was beautiful and possibly what got it published (it included no story line, but was wonderful description). But the book itself is not a great story or well told.

But you MUST read Watership Down. A beautiful book. A classic that merits it reputation.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 12-11-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:14 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A Wrinkle in Time is a YA classic and should be read on that basis alone; it’s also a quick read and while there are sequels, I wouldn’t bother. I suspect it’s showing its age a bit and there’s a Christian slant to it (although not nearly as overt as the Narnia books); it’s also before its time in making a girl the protagonist. I’ve lost track of how old your girls are, but it would be a great book to read with one/two/three of them if they haven’t.
This is the only one I know will be added to my list. My girls have read it already and really loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The Night Circus is hype. ... But the book itself is not a great story or well told.

But you MUST read Watership Down. A beautiful book. A classic that merits it reputation.
That's too bad to hear about The Night Circus. I've heard good things about it. Watership Down will probably get added to my list though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Outlander is a very mixed bag.
I own the first 7 books in this series and just haven't felt compelled to read them yet. I keep thinking I should read the first one way least, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Some of those are great, but IMO some are merely OK and some are junk.

Any such list is always either a popularity contest, biased by how well known a book is or totally subject to taste of a person or small group, sometimes with an agenda.

Also I think some authors listed there have much better books.
I really dislike that they included some books because they are popular. It would have been ok if they started which ones or provided their reasons for including each book. It's definitely not a perfect list, but it gave me a starting point.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I own the first 7 books in this series [Outlander] and just haven't felt compelled to read them yet. I keep thinking I should read the first one way least, but...
Reinforcing this. Don’t let the thought of seven books daunt you; as with so many fantasy series, the quality tanks after the first three books. No reason not to do one and done, but I’d strongly advise not going past the third book at most.

Hildea’s right; there are issues with this series and it’s impossible to say whether you can live with them or whether you bail. The first time I tried to read Outlander, I didn’t get past the first few pages before I (literally, if memory serves) threw the book across the room. My pre-eink days. But some years later I wanted mindless entertainment and it fit the bill and I kept going after that. Now, they’ve become hate-reads, because the later books truly are awful.

Last edited by issybird; 12-11-2022 at 01:52 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:05 PM   #11
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Six of Crows is considered a masterpiece by a small group of YA fans. Many others give the book at least 4 stars on GR. I gave it a half hearted try, and was surprised that my expectations were not low enough. DNFed after a few pages.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:21 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Reinforcing this. Don’t let the thought of seven books daunt you; as with so many fantasy series, the quality tanks after the first three books. No reason not to do one and done, but I’d strongly advise not going past the third book at most.
It's definitely not the quantity or size of these that has kept need away. It has just never sounded like a good "next read". It was completely an impulse purchase that I would not make now. At least it was a really good deal (<$2) so it's not a big deal.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Six of Crows is considered a masterpiece by a small group of YA fans. Many others give the book at least 4 stars on GR. I gave it a half hearted try, and was surprised that my expectations were not low enough. DNFed after a few pages.
I've bounced off a few otherwise popular series too. Sometimes it's just not my taste. Others make me question the sanity of some people.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I don't understand how A Wrinkle in Time got its classic YA status. Probably there was not much around when it was published, and now the children that read it have grown to adulthood and remember it fondly.

The Night Circus is hype. I saw the author's original pitch for publication, and it was beautiful and possibly what got it published (it included no story line, but was wonderful description). But the book itself is not a great story or well told.

I quite liked A Wrinkle in Time I did not like the movie version all that much I also like The Night Circus.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:57 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!That's too bad to hear about The Night Circus. I've heard good things about it.
The reason you've heard good things about The Night Circus is because it's quite good. Well worth reading.