Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
nolson
nolson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle PW 2 5.4.5.1 - Custom Fonts?

The ONLY thing I want is to be able to do is to get custom fonts to my K PW 2.

I don't care about any other features or programs or customization. I don't care about screensavers, getting rid of ads, running other software, etc.

I've tried to sort thru numerous threads here and other places but I'm pretty confused.

It appears I need to downgrade my firmware (which I did), but upon turning off "airplane mode" (ie, enabling Wi-fi) the device auto updates and I'm back to where I started.

Can someone tell me how to get custom fonts on a PW 2 5.4.5.1 ?

P.S. I don't understand the terminology of "jailbreak" or "root", etc. BUT I am a very literate computer user who can follow directions, provided they don't assume knowledge beyond downloading particular files, extracting them, copying them via USB to existing or created directories, pushing buttons in the correct sequence, ejecting the device in the proper sequence, etc.

Given that, is it possible for me to get custom fonts on my PW 2? If so, can someone provide a lucid step-by-step for doing so?

THANKS!
nolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolson View Post
The ONLY thing I want is to be able to do is to get custom fonts to my K PW 2.

I don't care about any other features or programs or customization. I don't care about screensavers, getting rid of ads, running other software, etc.

I've tried to sort thru numerous threads here and other places but I'm pretty confused.

It appears I need to downgrade my firmware (which I did), but upon turning off "airplane mode" (ie, enabling Wi-fi) the device auto updates and I'm back to where I started.

Can someone tell me how to get custom fonts on a PW 2 5.4.5.1 ?

P.S. I don't understand the terminology of "jailbreak" or "root", etc. BUT I am a very literate computer user who can follow directions, provided they don't assume knowledge beyond downloading particular files, extracting them, copying them via USB to existing or created directories, pushing buttons in the correct sequence, ejecting the device in the proper sequence, etc.

Given that, is it possible for me to get custom fonts on my PW 2? If so, can someone provide a lucid step-by-step for doing so?

THANKS!
First things first - a bit of Mobileread Dev's vocabulary:

Here, "Jailbreak" refers to releasing your Kindle from the Amazon "jail" of being able to install only packages signed by Amazon.
The primary purpose of our "Jailbreak" is to install our signature certificate.
This allows the Amazon installer to also install Mobileread packages.

The "Jailbreak" also does a few other things we have learned that are commonly desired, but installing our certificate is its #1 job.

Our packages are "model locked" and cryptographically signed, just like Amazon's (they have to be, we are using Amazon's system provided installer).

So - You do have to care enough about "Jailbreaking" your Kindle to install our jailbreak or else you will not make much progress (your locked out without it).

- - - -

There are actually two "system provided installers" in your Kindle.
We use the manual one activated by home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> Update Your Kindle (UYK).

The other one is the automatic, Over The Air (OTA) installer.
That is the one that so helpfully re-updated your Kindle for you.

We don't use that installer, but we do provide the user with a way to control when (and if) it updates your Kindle for you.
I.E: That makes updating your Kindle the user's choice, not Amazon's.
This thing is called the "Backdoor Lock".

- - - - -

You don't need our general purpose control menu and launcher (KUAL [Cool]) to control the Backdoor Lock - but it does give you simple touch buttons for the Backdoor Lock controls.

You don't need KUAL to control the font hack(s) - but again, it does give you simple touch buttons for controlling the font hack(s).

Translation: You really do want KUAL installed on your Kindle, you just don't know it yet.

- - - -

All of the above stays within your desired skill level -
Open archives, copy files or directories over the USB cable to the proper place, follow any specific actions/button pressing given in the directions.

- - - -

Your course of action now -
  • Turn on Airplane mode
  • Downgrade (again) just like you did
  • Get most recent Jailbreak from NiLuJe's "snapshot thread" - install it.
  • Get the most recent KUAL from NiLuJe's "snapshot theread -
    install it.
  • Get the "Backdoor Lock" - install it.
  • Now "lock the backdoor" (there are buttons installed in KUAL to do that now).
  • You can take it out of Airplane mode now if you want
  • Optionally (with the Backdoor lock controls) let the system OTA itself back to the current firmware (the Jailbreak and MKK will survive and self-reinstall).
  • Transport attention to the font hack(s) thread.
  • Optionally, anything else here you might find interesting.

I know, I know, you wrote that you aren't interested in any of that -
you just want to cross the river.
But if your going to cross this river, you do need a boat and a few other things before you start.

I think you will find that all of the above is amazingly quick and simple.
(It took me longer to write this post than it will take you to do all of the above.)

Last edited by knc1; 10-26-2014 at 09:54 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
nolson
nolson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks so much for the help!

Thanks so much for the help!

I kind of figured I'd need to "jailbreak"...I just needed that vocabulary lesson to help me understand why.

And thanks for the excellent, easy to follow step-by-step. That's EXACTLY what I needed.
nolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@nolson: There's also a shiny 'Start here!' sticky thread at the top of this forum .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote