Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 03:41 AM   #1
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question clock problem

My 3rd Aura One, four months old, on F/W 4.6.10075 since November (with Geoff's patches) has had battery drains problems since January, though not since January 24.

Yesterday I noticed the clock was way off (8 am instead of 6 pm - I didn't think to check the day). I turned the WiFi on long enough for the clock to adjust, then turned it off. And this morning it was some 2 hours off, the right day. I don't know how long there has been a problem since I tend not to look at the time on my reader, but it might explain why I've had unexplained behavior while syncing reading positions.

What can cause that problem? Any way to solve it?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:12 AM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have the same problem when there is transition from summer clock to winter clock, there is one hour different, because the date of transition of my country it's not the same on my kobo (they change low in country and move the date).

First do a sync and see if it show the right time, if it didn't work change the time zone to -1 GMT.

Last edited by oren64; 01-28-2018 at 04:16 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've noticed some battery drain issues and some very wildly out clock readings recently, on my KA1 running the patched 4.7.10413 firmware.

It isn't a timezone or daylight savings issue. The next daylight savings switch is in a couple of months anyway.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This morning the One was at 8 am instead of 6 am. I synced it again. And now, it's gone to 3.29 am Monday 29 instead of 7.31 pm Sunday 28. That clock is racing!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
How often have you connected via wi-fi?

When a device connects to the server it will not just be setting the correct time, but also attempting to estimate clock error so it can make regular automatic adjustments. (All clocks have some error.) It takes a number of connections to get a good estimate of the error though, if it has only connected once and had to make a big correction, the first error estimate could be way off.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #6
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
How often have you connected via wi-fi?

When a device connects to the server it will not just be setting the correct time, but also attempting to estimate clock error so it can make regular automatic adjustments. (All clocks have some error.) It takes a number of connections to get a good estimate of the error though, if it has only connected once and had to make a big correction, the first error estimate could be way off.
Not very often, but every time I update pocket, I'd say at least once a month. That clock worked fine for three months all the same (I don't adjust for an eventual few minutes' difference). Of course, those days I also sync every time the clock is very wrong.

I'm starting to wonder whether this is linked to the battery drain. Could the clock running wild drain the battery?

For the first time this morning I woke up the One with the battery warning, so could turn it off. As soon as I came home, 45 minutes ago, I plugged it in a wall socket, and after 10 minutes turned it on. I could then watch how the charging went, and it is slow: 11% after 45 minutes.

EDIT: it accelerated - 100% after 1 hour - and the time went back: 4.53 am today instead of 12.53 pm today. So there seems to be some link between battery drain and the clock going wild.

Last edited by anacreon; 01-29-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Interesting. Never noticed anything time-related on my Aura (original).
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe the clock the KA1 is getting the time form is off.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe the clock the KA1 is getting the time form is off.
Then I would think that the problem would affect every Kobo using that sync info which should be affecting every Kobo in an area of France or possibly the whole country. Syncing presumably goes through a Kobo central server for a large area.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Then I would think that the problem would affect every Kobo using that sync info which should be affecting every Kobo in an area of France or possibly the whole country. Syncing presumably goes through a Kobo central server for a large area.
I doubt they are syncing the time with their servers. I would expect they are using a generic ntp pool. But, I would expect that to be correct.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kobo uses pool.ntp.org and that's usually smart enough to give you a random ntp server in your area. (When I tried, I got three servers in Germany and one in Belgium which is still reasonably close to home.)

ntpd doesn't run all the time, only when wifi comes up. It's run with the -q option (Quit after clock is set) probably because the Kobo isn't an always-online device. However, in this mode, ntpd is unable to correct any clock skew issues.

It either just works, or we don't notice because everytime Kobo wakes from standby, the very first thing it does is enable wifi and sync clock. Unless you disabled wifi entirely, or running something other than nickel.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote