Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
need I buy a more expensive stylus?

Just a question. I have three options for the stylus: the normal pen with DR, the advanced pen and the professional pen. I mainly use DR to read papers and occasionally make notes on them. I don't expect I have smooth drawing on DR, though from Grimulkan, it seems work very well.

Therefore, any suggestion that what the difference among the three styluses? or maybe with some pictures. Do I need buy an extra stylus for comfortable using?
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The standard stylus supplied with the DR is fine for selecting menu items, etc, but I wouldn't want to use it for extensive note-taking - it's very thin and not very comfortable to hold. I'd go for one of the "pen-like" styluses if you're going to be taking a lot of notes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I Just in forum know that the function of scribble is not satisfied. Is that true? I mean is it good enough to make notes with DR? if it is good, then I would buy an advanced pen.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
I'm using a stylus similar to professional one (wacom cross executive pen). It is true that professional one is more comfortable and you can enjoy pen-like experiences while scribbling. But given the high price (>$50), I'd recommend to begin with the normal stlyus and consider buying it later. Normal pen is still fine for scribbling.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
yingwu
Addict

Thanks a lot. how about the advanced stylus, which is <50???
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
At this stage, the only benefit in the higher priced pens over the standard one that sits in the DR is comfort. If you write a lot on the DR, the advanced and professional pens ar more comfortable to use. As yet, the added functionality these other pens have (additional buttons etc) are not used within the DR and so serve no purpose.

If you don't do a lot of writing, I'd be inclined to stick with the standard, if not I use a Toshiba pen very like the Advanced pen and find it nice to hold and use.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have quite thick fingers and find the supplied pen a little awkward to hold, so I've just ordered the "professional" stylus for more comfortable use. I see that the flip cover has elasticated loops in it which presumably are there to hold a pen.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
At this stage, the only benefit in the higher priced pens over the standard one that sits in the DR is comfort. If you write a lot on the DR, the advanced and professional pens ar more comfortable to use. As yet, the added functionality these other pens have (additional buttons etc) are not used within the DR and so serve no purpose.

If you don't do a lot of writing, I'd be inclined to stick with the standard, if not I use a Toshiba pen very like the Advanced pen and find it nice to hold and use.
Is there any sign that what the additional buttons are used for in future(eraser)? how many buttons there are in the advanced stylus? I mean is the advanced one is the same as the professional one except for their size? my fingers are not , so a normal size is enough for me.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The professional stylus is a lot mor comfortable than the standard stylus. And it comes with softer tips, which makes the writing experience much more pleasant. The price is quite high so.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Do you need to take the pen out of the DR to activate the touch screen, like you do on the iLiad?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you need to take the pen out of the DR to activate the touch screen, like you do on the iLiad?
Not quite. I will use the pen like a real pen on a piece of paper, given the scribbles with DR is good enough. But must I use the pen to activate the screen? What about those buttons?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
Not quite. I will use the pen like a real pen on a piece of paper, given the scribbles with DR is good enough. But must I use the pen to activate the screen? What about those buttons?
The Wacom is always on. So you can write with an additionally bought pen when the standard pen is still in the device.

Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
The Wacom is always on. So you can write with an additionally bought pen when the standard pen is still in the device.

Groen
Thank you. I remember that on the Iliad the touch screen was disabled when the stylus was in its slot.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
I have quite thick fingers and find the supplied pen a little awkward to hold, so I've just ordered the "professional" stylus for more comfortable use. I see that the flip cover has elasticated loops in it which presumably are there to hold a pen.
I also bought the professional stylus for the same reason as you and like it reasonably well, but I think the cheaper "Advanced stylus" probably would have worked just as well, truthfully. The loop on the right side of the flip cover holds it nicely.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Thank you. I remember that on the Iliad the touch screen was disabled when the stylus was in its slot.
They originally did that for power saving reasons. However, it's since been shown that enabling/disabling the screen makes very little difference as far as the battery. The WACOM screen only draws noticable power if you're actually writing on it. Because of that, iRex made the DR so that it's on all the time. It's just simpler that way.

You should not have any problems leaving the original stylus in the DR and using the professional one to write.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote