Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
exposed
exposed began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Calibre problem

I should reword that and call it my problem. In the tutorial, he shows how you download books from your Kindle into the Calibre library. My ereader is an Ipad and when I connect the device becomes Itunes. I don't have my books in Itunes and therefor I am unable to download them into Calibre. How do I change the 'device' in Calibre to be an Ipad and not Itunes?
Thanks.
exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool wrong forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by exposed View Post
I should reword that and call it my problem. In the tutorial, he shows how you download books from your Kindle into the Calibre library. My ereader is an Ipad and when I connect the device becomes Itunes. I don't have my books in Itunes and therefor I am unable to download them into Calibre. How do I change the 'device' in Calibre to be an Ipad and not Itunes?
Thanks.
you need to ask this in the calibre forum. as for myself, i have no idea since i'm a kindle user.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
When I connect my iPad to my iMac, and open Calibre, Calibre does recognize my iPad and will load books onto it. No special settings required.

What you seem to be suggesting, copying books from your iPad into your Calibre library directly, is a little backwards. Download the books to your PC/Mac, put them in Calibre, then transfer them to the iPad. If the books you have are from iBooks, I'm not sure how that would work, but from any other source this is the best way to get your books into Calibre.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
exposed

pigeon

Thanks for the reply. I download from Kobo directly. What's the advantage of downloading to Calibre first? The whole reason for me downloading Calibre is I ordered a book by mistake that was PDF instead of EPUB. It won't open in my library of the Ipad and the lady at Kobo suggested Calibre because she heard it could convert the JPEG. Anyways when I looked at the tutorial of Calibre I was impressed with it's possibilities and thought I'd like to transfer my books onto it. However when I open Calibre the device is Itunes and won't show the Ipad.
How do you get Calibre to recognize your Ipad and not Itunes?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't copy files FROM an iPad; you can only copy them TO it, and you do that via iTunes. You need to read the section of the Calibre User Guide which discussing managing an iPad or iPhone - it's done a little differently to most devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
The whole reason for me downloading Calibre is I ordered a book by mistake that was PDF instead of EPUB.
I would try and return the PDF for a refund and order the ePub instead. I have had good customer service experience when I have had problems with eBooks, so it's worth a try. It was, after all, a genuine mistake.

Calibre is very good, but PDF is one of the worst source formats for conversion to ePub, so the results can be variable.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
However when I open Calibre the device is Itunes and won't show the Ipad.
How do you get Calibre to recognize your Ipad and not Itunes?
To be able to transfer books FROM a device, the device has to expose the files to Calibre as though they were on a USB disk drive. The iPad does not operate in this manner, so transfer FROM the iPad is not supported.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
exposed

I really appreciate the help here. I made the mistake of watching the tutorial where he showed how he simply used the Kindle as his device and unloaded to Calibre. I assumed if you could do that with a Kindle,you could with the Ipad. I spent hours trying to figure out what the problem was.