Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series

Anybody read this? Is it any good? I am on a Sherlock Holmes kick right now and nearly done with all of the stories. I am looking for more Holmes-esque stuff and this looks interesting, but Fictionwise is missing the first few books (they have the later ones) and I am reluctant to start a series if I can't start right at the beginning.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
The Mary Russell series is wonderful.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (first in the series and one of my favourite books of all time) was offered as a free ebook a few months ago, on Laurie R. King's website, but I think that offer's finished. It was a badly formatted PDF, but I read it.

I think you should read the books in order, (you should definitely read Beekeeper's first), except for O Jerusalem, which should be read after Beekeeper's and within the first 4 or 5 books of the series.

http://www.laurierking.com/
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Love these...I've read all of them. I agree that you should def. read them in order. The Beekeeper's Apprentice really is wonderful and you really must start with it. I skipped the badly formatted PDF version that was free. Search it out in the library or a used book store. I own books 1 and 2 in paperback and have all the rest in ebook format, 3 and 4 in ereader and the rest in mobi (from fictionwise) and the newest in azw from amazon.

Editing to add: Beekeeper's Apprentice and #2 Monstrous Regiment of Women are available in Kindle format...does your ipod touch use the kindle app or do you use the Kindle for PC?

Last edited by texasnightowl; 12-27-2009 at 10:36 PM.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
[QUOTE=texasnightowl;713781Editing to add: Beekeeper's Apprentice and #2 Monstrous Regiment of Women are available in Kindle format...does your ipod touch use the kindle app or do you use the Kindle for PC?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this - I wanted to read these books, but I didn't find them at fictionwise and didn't look further.

However, I see the publisher is asking a rather high price for the ebook. Even with Amazon cutting the $14 to $9.99, it's more than I'm willing to pay at the moment. Perhaps when I've finished my backlog!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Yeah, for some reason the first one, Beekeeper's Apprentice, is 9.99, but the second, Monstrous Regiment of Women, is 6.99. Go figure. Actually, I would pay 9.99 for it if I didn't already own it in paperback. When it drops or becomes available on Fictionwise, I'll bite and get it in ebook format too.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I think these books are better and more fun than the original Holmes books. Except maybe for The Moor which I think is the weakest one.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote