Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
A. Lee Martinez?

I was browsing on fantastic fiction and found some blurbs for books by A. Lee Martinez that had me laughing out loud. I've never read any of his books, and so was wondering if I should add them to my overflowing wishlist? Opinions?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I've read Monster and I enjoyed it, although it IS a bit silly. If you like light-hearted fantasy books (with monsters and demons instead of wizards !) you'd probably like it! It sort of reminded me of the Dresden Files books? Except with less angst.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read 2 of Martinez' books that I could recommend: Gil's All Fright Diner, and The Automatic Detective. Gil's is about a werewolf and vamp traveling together, who stop at a diner where all hell breaks loose - it is a completely unromantic read, very funny. The Automatic Detective is about a sentient robot who decides to become a private investigator, again very funny. I started "Too Many Curses" and thought it was just too silly and stupid. So you might want to try one of the 2 I liked and see (esp if you can get from library).
If you like laugh out loud moments in books, depending on your tastes in genre, you might want to try Christopher Moore (The Stupidest Angel, The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove- where a psychiatrist decides to replace patient's meds with placebos while a sea monster comes ashore) or Terry Pratchett (Making Money, Soul Music, so many good ones). For truly weird, try Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair,
where you can REALLY get lost in a good book.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I've read "Gil's All Fright Diner". It's a kick. Really enjoyed the book. Also have a paper copy of "In The Company of Ogres" on my TBR pile.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
I've read Monster and I enjoyed it, although it IS a bit silly. If you like light-hearted fantasy books (with monsters and demons instead of wizards !) you'd probably like it! It sort of reminded me of the Dresden Files books? Except with less angst.
I adore Dresden, so ... yep, think I'll give these a shot. Thanks to all of you who chimed in!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert