Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
Hello from the UK

Hello, I've just found your community and I would like to join please!

I'm from the UK and am a member of an online language learning community called Lingq. We use electronic texts (with audio when we can get it) to help us in our language learning. We copy and paste the words into the online software, then we can use online dictionaries and stuff.

So I'm rapidly becoming an ebook junkie, albeit one without a proper ebook reader (just my PC with Firefox web browser). And I can only use books in HTML, RTF and PDF format. I think. I'm a bit unclear on the technical stuff, which is partly why I'm here. I shall be asking questions on the technical side of the forum.

I'm learning French, German and Russian, so I'm always on the look out for new books in these languages. Especially stuff with vampires or time travel.
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hello RainbowWarrior,

Welcome to the forum. I'm also fairly new around here, but am beginning to settle in. I'm sure will too.

I can't advise on language learning. But I would suggest that you download a free copy of the Mobipocket software (from mobipocket.com). This will let you read ebooks on your PC, and will give a much better experience than Firefox.

And if you eventually graduate to a hand-held device, you'll probably be able to transfer the content (depending on the particular device).
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi rainbowworrier and welcome to MobileRead. As you're learning German, be sure and check out the German language section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159

One thing I can tell you about language learning that I discovered in Germany when I lived there. Never could figure out why this worked but I discovered that, the more beer you drink, the better your German becomes. Sigh, I suppose I need to research that a lot more.

Last edited by MickeyC; 04-17-2009 at 12:03 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Hi rainbowworrier, welcome to the forum. I am a bit of a language junkie myself so it is good to know I am not alone. There are lots of other members on this forum who are multilingual and I think you will enjoy their company.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Karine Papillaud
Karine Papillaud began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Hello, I'm a brand new member and better in french. Glad to know you and share stuffs about ebook's world here. See you, so I hope...
Karine Papillaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
Thank you for your welcomes and helpful suggestions. I shall certainly look into the mobipocket software. I fancy a handheld device but I don't really understand what they are yet. They put me in mind of the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy.....now that's showing my age....
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote