Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
New K2 users -- thanks to the folk here

Just wanted to say Hello, and to say how much I appreciate this good advice I've been reading in this forum. I've just taken delivery of my first ebook device - a Kindle 2. I chose it mainly on the strength of what I read here.

So far, I've been delighted with the K2. I won't go into the reasons in detail. You all know its good and bad points better than I do. My only previous experience with ebooks was with the Mobi PC software on a laptop, and clearly any hand-held device has got to be better than that.

I'm also pleased to report that -- contrary to what some people seem to believe -- the Kindle works perfectly well outside the US, although of course I can't download books via Whispernet, which is a shame.

Now all I have to do is to find some time to catch up on my reading.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Well since no one else has welcomed you, I will -- though I'm almost as new to the Kindle as you are.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I'm sure others outside the US will be happy to hear of your kindle successes as well! Congrats on your new toy
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Welcome to the Kindle 2. It was 'kind of' my 2nd device, if you count my ipod touch as an ebook reader.

I'm loving it so far, I've loaded it up with lots of new books. Easy to read, has a decent battery life and makes carry books around simple. I'm now looking forward to Kindle3!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Mike L
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MobileRead, Mike

Glad you are excited about your Kindle. I have the *505* and love, love, love it!

Lots of beautifully hand-formatted books to download from here. Have fun just scrolling through them

Don't forget the Wiki (check the top of the page) for additional information.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to all of you for your welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and joining in the discussions.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How are you buying your books, Mike? Or are you reading mainly free stuff downloaded from here (or elsewhere)?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard

Harry,

I started out by loading up the books I already owned. These are free books, in .mobi format, which I have downloaded from Feedbooks. I originally downloaded them to read on my laptop, using the Mobipocket Reader PC software.

As an experiment, I also purchased a book from Amazon's Kindle store. To do that, you need a US credit card registered to a US address. It happens that I do have a US credit card and a US address, as my company does a lot of business in the States. But, as luck would have it, the card is registered to our Scottish address. So I took the other route, which is to credit a gift voucher to my Amazon account. I still needed the US address, but was able to purchase a book without a credit card. (I heard about this trick here in the forum, although I don't remember the name of the person who suggested it.)

With both the free and the purchased books, I had to use the USB connection to transfer from PC to Kindle, but that turned out to be trivially easy.

My next experiement will be to subscribe to a magazine. I suspect I need Whispernet for that, but I'll give it a try and report back.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
CRoss
Bibliophile
CRoss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Welcome! I'm always happy to hear about someone having a good experience downloading books onto their Kindle from outside the U.S. as we're moving overseas for two years this summer and I've heard mixed things on how easy it is to buy books for Kindle once you leave the States.
CRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRoss View Post
Welcome! I'm always happy to hear about someone having a good experience downloading books onto their Kindle from outside the U.S. as we're moving overseas for two years this summer and I've heard mixed things on how easy it is to buy books for Kindle once you leave the States.
IF you have a US credit card, there is no problem whatsoever in buying books. The problem exists in trying to buy books from the Kindle store without such a card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
kyliedork
Connoisseur
kyliedork doesn't litterkyliedork doesn't litter

Device: kindle
yes, they don't have to "post" the ebooks, so the address shouldn't be a issue
kyliedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
Mike L
Wizard

CRoss,

Given that you're moving overseas temporarily, I'm sure you won't have a problem. I assume you'll keep your US bank and credit card, so as far as Amazon is concerned, they don't even have to know you've moved.

As I mentioned earlier, you won't be able to use Whispernet, but I'm finding no problem with the USB connection (of course, never having experienced Whispernet, I don't miss it).

I'd also guess that you won't have a problem if you want to buy physical products from Amazon and have them shipped to your overseas address. You can register several addresses on your Amazon account. It's only the 1-Click address that you use with Kindle that has to be in the US.

Good luck with your relocation and don't worry about using the Kindle.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
My next experiement will be to subscribe to a magazine. I suspect I need Whispernet for that, but I'll give it a try and report back.
You don't.

On Amazon, you have the option of downloaded the current issue and 2 back issues.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Mike L
Wizard

Hi Sporadic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
On Amazon, you have the option of downloaded the current issue and 2 back issues.
Yep, I've just discovered that. Have downloaded two issues with no bother.

Thanks for the reply.