Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2023, 04:58 PM   #1
dannydav709
dannydav709 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
Feature Idea for Calibre (related to apnx files)

I have a question, and an idea for a really nice potential feature in Calibre. If I download a book on Kindle for Mac, it is possible to see all files associated with the book in in Finder (I imagine there is a similar process for windows but I've never tried yet). One of the files is a ".apnx" file. This file gives page numbers that align perfectly with the "azw3" eBook file.

The problem is, if I then try to use KindleUnpack to extract the ePub file from the azw3, and use send-to-kindle to send the extracted ePub to my kindle, and then import the same ".apnx" associated with the original ebook into my Kindle in the folder where the sent-to-kindle ebook resides (using Finder or whatever other files app), when I open the book, the page alignment appears just a bit off (in some cases a lot more off).

I suppose it is due to the processing that Amazon does to the ePub file that was extracted from the azw3, which changes some stuff ever so slightly. I was thinking if there is a way to see how Amazon does the conversion (by comparing the original azw3 to the epub and also to the processed azw3), maybe theres a way to have the processed azw3 resemble the original azw3 (if a pattern for how Amazon does the processing can be found). That way, the "apnx" files of Amazon kindle books can work perfectly with azw3 files that are the result of Amazon's send-to-kindle processing for ePubs extracted from the original (official) azw3 files.
dannydav709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:36 PM   #2
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Sound like tons of works to do for a minimal benefit, namely, you can already accomplished what you are trying to do by just download the book from your Kindle device in the first place.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2023, 09:28 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't thinkt his can be done. But if it could, it's too much work for too little return. So it's a no-go.

The reason the page numbers are off is because you've seriously changed the eBook and the page number file no longer matches.

The way to get the page number file to work is to download the Kindle eBook to the Kindle witht he page number file. Do not send-to-kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote