Notices

Old 12-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
Samurai
Enthusiast
Samurai began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (4th Gen)
General questions!

Hello there,

I have a couple of questions for anyone who can help, maybe they're dumb questions but I don't want to do something stupid and lose files or my library, so bear with me, also I'm Greek, so.. sorry for my English.

I want to move my library from my mac to a new external HD, how do I move every file from Calibre's folders into the external hd and not lose that way all of my books inside the Calibre app when I open it?

I also want to make another library to have all of my comics just like I have my books, but I don't know how to do it, with a little bit of search I think I'm going to create it from Books-Switch/Create Library?

I want to create that comic library but I don't want Calibre to create folders for Calibre and copy the comic files along with the book's files together in the same place, (unless that new library is auto-created somewhere else other than the book place)

and also I don't want my comics to be auto arranged inside Calibre's created folders by Authors, I want to be able to have the database by Publishers and then sub folders by series etc. Is there a way to do that?

And also not very important but is there a way to change the book library folders too? Like, have it not be by author on Calibre's folders but by something else?

Thanks a lot!
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
re: folder structure:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119175

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-06-2022 at 09:53 AM. Reason: sorry, wrong link
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #3
Samurai
Enthusiast

Hello, this link doesn't help me at all. They talk about some iRex thing and some version updates of it. Maybe you wanted to show me something else?
Old 12-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The correct link is
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119175

In short, you can't change the structure of a Calibre library. And Calibre always creates copies of your files for its libraries, there's no way around it.

As to moving the library, just copy over the whole library folder in one piece. Then point Calibre to the new location (Library -> Switch/create library -> Use the previously existing library at the new location)

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-06-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hello, this link doesn't help me at all. They talk about some iRex thing and some version updates of it. Maybe you wanted to show me something else?
sorry, wrong link. Swapped it out.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
Samurai
Enthusiast

Ah ok! Thanks a lot for answering!

So basically a comic library is not possible, because of lots of authors writing many titles and many writers being in the same title etc. so it would be a mess. I just saw 2 comic vine plugins and thought that someone is using Calibre for comics too but I imagine everything being all over the place.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:25 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Ah ok! Thanks a lot for answering!

So basically a comic library is not possible, because of lots of authors writing many titles and many writers being in the same title etc. so it would be a mess. I just saw 2 comic vine plugins and thought that someone is using Calibre for comics too but I imagine everything being all over the place.
Of course it's possible. Just use the GUI, don't go peeking in the library folder.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Question that may affect what method you choose.
Do you intend to use this Library (ries) on different computers?
If Yes: Calibre Portable. That is self contained wit the Configuration stuff included. (desktop, keeps that per logon user)

1) DO NOT USE ADD for either mode just to Move to another (always an ATTACHED) drive.

2)With Calibre SHUT DOWN. Simply COPY/Move the Calibre Library FOLDER (or what ever name) TO the drive (The folder name IS the Library Name). Start Calibre and use Create Switch: USE EXISTING to point to the new location. Use Windows Disk Management (right click the Start Button)
to set it. Change the value to L (for Library suggested) and set the range to the same. DO NOT use/change the letters of any system drive (C, D)
The next (and every) Time that drive is attached, to that system, it will be assigned L:

If you go 'The Portable' Route:
Simply Install Portable. Then locate Calibre Library FOLDER on the Portable drive, then Replace that with the old one. Mostly done You might want to copy the entire Configuration folder CONTENTS to Calibre Settings on the Portable installation folder .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DriveLetter.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	198230  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also you can filter the GUI by Author, Collection, Tag, Format, Title, custom column etc so that you only see one Genre or Author or kind of thing (such as Comic).
See also Virtual Libraries, which I know nothing about.

You can use a USB drive but not a networked drive with Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #10
Samurai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Question that may affect what method you choose.
Do you intend to use this Library (ries) on different computers?
If Yes: Calibre Portable. That is self contained wit the Configuration stuff included. (desktop, keeps that per logon user)

1) DO NOT USE ADD for either mode just to Move to another (always an ATTACHED) drive.

2)With Calibre SHUT DOWN. Simply COPY/Move the Calibre Library FOLDER (or what ever name) TO the drive (The folder name IS the Library Name). Start Calibre and use Create Switch: USE EXISTING to point to the new location. Use Windows Disk Management (right click the Start Button)
to set it. Change the value to L (for Library suggested) and set the range to the same. DO NOT use/change the letters of any system drive (C, D)
The next (and every) Time that drive is attached, to that system, it will be assigned L:

If you go 'The Portable' Route:
Simply Install Portable. Then locate Calibre Library FOLDER on the Portable drive, then Replace that with the old one. Mostly done You might want to copy the entire Configuration folder CONTENTS to Calibre Settings on the Portable installation folder .

Thanks!

I think I understand what to do, even though I'm on MacOS and not on Windows to find the library's location, but I guess I'll just hit browse and find it and load it from there on my external HD?! Hope this works when I try it out.

Also, one more question, is there any way to look at my Calibre library from my iPhone/iPad? I don't want to read the books, just to view and know what I have and have not over there when I'm not at home.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #11
Samurai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also you can filter the GUI by Author, Collection, Tag, Format, Title, custom column etc so that you only see one Genre or Author or kind of thing (such as Comic).
See also Virtual Libraries, which I know nothing about.

You can use a USB drive but not a networked drive with Calibre.
Thanks, I don't know what Virtual Libraries are either, but I'm going to search about it. I know I can search with tags etc. and make lists and whatnot, I just wanted to have the original files in their categories and not just by author, which is great for books, but I think it's going to be a mess with comics.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
is there any way to look at my Calibre library from my iPhone/iPad? I don't want to read the books, just to view and know what I have and have not over there when I'm not at home.
Use the create Catalogue as an epub (occasionally) and put the epub on your iOS and read it with decent 3rd party epub app. IMO Kindle for iOS is only for bought from Amazon and Books, formerly iBooks, is only for books bought from Apple.

You can create say a catalogue for Comics and one for reference and one for SF, one for Fantasy, one for other Fiction etc.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks!

I think I understand what to do, even though I'm on MacOS and not on Windows to find the library's location, but I guess I'll just hit browse and find it and load it from there on my external HD?! Hope this works when I try it out.

Also, one more question, is there any way to look at my Calibre library from my iPhone/iPad? I don't want to read the books, just to view and know what I have and have not over there when I'm not at home.
Use the Content server (mac needs to be running and connected)
ANY browser can access (Be sure to set passwords) after you set Port Forwarding on your router to allow connection.
Pro: No need to regenerate the Catalog (and use space on your device)
Con: You guessed it! security. You now have a pinhole in your firewall.

FWIW Comcast catches 1 or 2 ATTEMPTS a month. (I also do not use 8080, the most common)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:40 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I'd only do that on my own LAN
Cons:
The PC/Mac with Calibre needs to be running. It's not a Server application, we have a real server and it's no help.
Your WiFi runs phone/ipad down faster.
Some WiFi Airpoints segregate traffic, so WiFi clients can't access each other.
Which port you use doesn't help security if you use it outside LAN.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:38 PM   #15
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Yes, I use Calibre Sync on my mobile exactly for that reason.

https://calibresync.bitbucket.io
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote