Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Question Best Book of 2022

It's time! What were your favorite books of 2022? They can be books you've read or books that were published in 2022. They can even be books you expect to finish this year.

Maybe you're looking to join the StoryGraph MR Reading Challenge or the 2023 Reading Challenge and need ideas. Let's give each other some ideas.

So, it's time to review (and update) your 2022 Challenge List, your GoodReads Year in Books, your StoryGraph library, or any other book diary you keep. Then let us know what books we should add to our 2023 reading plans and decide what threads to lurk on in the Deals forum.

Here are some ideas about what we would like you to share with us:

What were the best books you read this year?

Do you have any favorite books published in 2022?

What books are on your "most anticipated" lists for 2023?

And be sure to mention why you enjoyed each of these books so we can decide if we want to try them next year too.

If you find it hard to remember what books you really enjoyed this year, issybird suggested making a "best of <year>" category at Goodreads (or wherever you track your reading) so you have it for next year.

If you want to see what some of our member's past favorites are, here are some of the old threads:
2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012

If anyone can give me a generic link to a StoryGraph library that would be great. The only URL I have found is specific for each user, not a generic "whoever is logged in right now" link like I have for GR.
Spoiler:
Code:
https://app.thestorygraph.com/books-read/<user>
And to filter down to 2022 books it looks like they replace "user" with some sort of hash which isn't very useful.
Code:
https://app.thestorygraph.com/books-read/<hash>?year=2022

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-14-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd like to see the recommendations for books published in 2022.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Yay! I was waiting on this thread.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:12 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I’m going to take this in chunks (per my usual). I read three terrific novels published this year:
  • The Latinist by Mark Prins
  • Siren Queen by Nghi Vo
  • The Swimmers by Julie Otsuka

But I also abandoned four highly-praised novels published this year.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
OK, I’m going to take this in chunks (per my usual). I read three terrific novels published this year:
  • The Latinist by Mark Prins
  • Siren Queen by Nghi Vo
  • The Swimmers by Julie Otsuka

But I also abandoned four highly-praised novels published this year.
Were any of those three books published in 2022.
Advert
Old 12-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Were any of those three books published in 2022.
“this year” = 2022
Old 12-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
They can be books you've read or books that were published in 2022.
My favourite books I have read in 2022 are oldies, but surprised me at how much I enjoyed them. They were all my first read...

The Host - Stepanie Meyer - published May 2008
Ill Wind - Kevin J. Anderson & Doug Beason - published June 1995
The Pelican Brief - John Grisham - published February 1992
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
“this year” = 2022
Sorry, I didn't read the top line.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:31 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Learned the most from, and deserving of crown for best:
James Kirchick, Secret City: The Hidden History of Gay Washington

The author says "I cried every single day I wrote this book,” and I believe it:
A. J. Baime, White Lies: The Double Life of Walter F. White and America's Darkest Secret

I hesitate to mention something political, but this guy can write:
Tim Miller, Why We Did It: A Travelogue from the Republican Road to Hell

Better than the subject's novels:
Lucy Worsley, Agatha Christie: An Elusive Woman

Most fun:
Richard Osman, The Bullet That Missed
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:37 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My favorite book of the year was the first one I read this year--Maggie Shipstead's Great Circle, but it was published in 2021. Of the books published in 2022, my favorites, in the order I read them, are

Fiction (all historicals; my go-to suspense authors disappointed me this year):
  • Last Dance on the Starlight Pier by Sarah Bird
  • Little Souls by Sandra Dallas
  • The Lioness by Chris Bohjalian
  • The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle by Jennifer Ryan
  • Ashton Hall by Lauren Belfer
  • Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
  • Joan by Katherine J. Chen (included because it inspired me to go on a Joan of Arc binge)

Nonfiction:
  • The Sewing Girl's Tale: A Story of Crime and Consequences in Revolutionary America by John Wood Sweet
  • The Divider: Trump in the White House, 2017-2021 by Peter Baker and Susan Glasser
  • Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America by Maggie Haberman
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:54 AM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Favourite books published in 2022
Framed in Fire - Iona Whishaw A great ewxample of a modern murder mystery with meaning.

The Life of Crime - Martin Edwards - the ultimate crime fiction encyclopedia

The link immediately above is to a list of all the books I've tagged as "my top reads of 2022" at the StoryGraph, here are 3 chosen from that list.

The Annotated Persuasion - Jane Austen. The first time I'd read Persuasion, and the annotated version was a great choice. Easily my favourite Austen now, one I'm certain to re-read

The Fair Miss Fortune - D. E. Stevenson - relaxing and fun. Plus a surprise to see an untranslated Urdu/Hindi/Panjabi expression that made me laugh and may have been bowdlerised.

The Lost Book of the Grail - Charles C. Lovett A celebration of books that was unusually inclusive in its definition thereof.

My "Most anticipated of 2023" would be (links to Kobo synopses)

To Track a Traitor - Iona Whishaw. If book 10 in the series is half as good as book 9, it will be a great read.

Sepulchre Street - Martin Edwards. I'm enjoying the Savernake series, I hope its strong form continues.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 04:35 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Learned the most from, and deserving of crown for best:
James Kirchick, Secret City: The Hidden History of Gay Washington
He's cohosting a debate podcast called Not Even Mad with Virginia Heffernan and Mike Pesca. I'd recommend it.

Quote:
I hesitate to mention something political, but this guy can write:
Tim Miller, Why We Did It: A Travelogue from the Republican Road to Hell
I read that one and it made me really angry. Not so much the political stuff, which I expected. But all the political insider stuff. The jaded 'politics is just a lucrative business' attitude from all involved, including the author. I'm sure it is true and has been. I just think I shouldn't have gotten so close to how the sausage gets made
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:23 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I read some pretty good books this year. Probably the book that absorbed me most was 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I avoided it for years because I don't care for alternate history. That was a mistake. Great book.

I'd also say The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, though that was a reread, so feels like cheating. If you've not read The Big Sleep, you really should.

Runner up would be The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

Books published in 2022, I read Why We Did It by Tim Miller. It was a good book. But as mentioned, also made me mad.

And The Einsteins of Vista Point by Ben Guterson. A YA book, but I met the author and tried the book. Really enjoyed it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:48 AM   #14
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
In 2022, I read twelve 5 starred books, of these 5 were rereads. I'm listing the 7 first time reads:-

the bolded titles are those that have broken into my top 20 books of all time

-Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1), by China Mieville (Fantasy)
-Greenglass House (Greenglass House, #1), by Kate Milford (Middle Grade Fantasy)
-Means of Ascent, by Robet A. Caro (Nonfiction)
-Singing to the Dead, by Caro Ramsay (crime and police procedural)
-Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1), by Donna Leon (police procedural)
-Ice Bound: A Doctor's Incredible Battle for Survival at the South Pole, by Jerri Nielsen (Nonfiction)
-Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy, #1), by Robert Jackson Bennett (Fantasy)
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:59 PM   #15
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The best books read this year:

The Sentence-Louise Erdrich
The Shimmer-Carsten Stroud
Firestarter-Stephen King
Lady in the Lake- Laura Lippman
A Noise Downstairs-Linwood Barclay
The Only Good Indians
Bag of Bones-Stephen King
The It Girl-Ruth Ware
The Hiding Place C.J. Tudor

The worst mainly because they were slow and dull not necessarily horrible, just bored me:

Boys from Biloxi-John Gresham
Sparring Partners-John Grisham
All The Pretty Horses-Cormac McCarthy
Fairytale-Stephen King

Last edited by HLS; 12-13-2022 at 11:15 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, favorite books