Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
MachinaCarnis
MachinaCarnis began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Pro
Best Reader App

So... now it's been 2 months I've been using my Nova Pro to read books.

Testing several apps, like ReadEra, AiReader, Xodo, Challenger Comics, and others ones.

I finally made my choice:

Books Management on my PC : Calibre

Best Reader App : Librera Reader, because I can easily navigate through most of MetaData categories of my collection. Just sad that it is slower to launch and less easy to go from one page to the other as I need to swipe. I love the way it automatically identifies the book series, really usefull.

My prefered font : Merriweather, initialy discovered with ReadEra
MachinaCarnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Moon+ Reader for me. Hands down. As it is one of the few reading apps which can handle furigana in Japanese properly.

However, I recently discovered that @VoiceAlouReader can also render furigana in Japanese properly. Still prefer Moon+ Plus, but it is good to have options.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2020, 01:59 AM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
For me atm the Kindle app love it, specially for this cold days I'm using a Bluetooth selfie stick to turn the pages.

Kindle on a big screen my dreams come true.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
On my Nova i use the default neoreader 3.0, maybe i should try something else.
On my k1 i found myself confortable with PocketBook

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....obreey.reader
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Moon+ Reader for me. Hands down. As it is one of the few reading apps which can handle furigana in Japanese properly.

However, I recently discovered that @VoiceAlouReader can also render furigana in Japanese properly. Still prefer Moon+ Plus, but it is good to have options.
Does Moon+ respect the CSS?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does Moon+ respect the CSS?
Not exactly sure what CSS is. There are a lot of things in the various menus which one can adjust. Most of them, I just ignore or leave as is unless they seem to be affecting my reading experience.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not exactly sure what CSS is. There are a lot of things in the various menus which one can adjust. Most of them, I just ignore or leave as is unless they seem to be affecting my reading experience.
You've been on MR since 2016 and you don't know what CSS is?

CSS is what tells the eBook how to be displayed.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
You've been on MR since 2016 and you don't know what CSS is?

CSS is what tells the eBook how to be displayed.
Oh, I've seen the term thrown about along with a bunch of others. I tend to me more interested in the content of what I'm reading than with how it looks so I've never bothered much with finding out what all the various terms mean.

As for the CSS in Moon+ Reader, I have no problems with reading books in English, Chinese or Japanese. It renders furigana properly whereas most other ereading apps don't. However, it displays Japanese text horizontally rather than vertically. So does that mean that it is not fully respecting the CSS of the ebook? I don't know.

Personally, I don't mind whether the text is horizontal or vertical. What matters to me when I'm reading in Japanese is how it renders the furigana because if it does not display furigana properly, that not only interferes with reading in Japanese, but it also interferes with using a lookup dictionary.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #9
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Oh, I've seen the term thrown about along with a bunch of others. I tend to me more interested in the content of what I'm reading than with how it looks..
I'm with you Mark, I wouldn't know how to modify the CSS.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I'm with you Mark, I wouldn't know how to modify the CSS.
This is not about modifying CSS but if Moon+ respects the CSS.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
This is not about modifying CSS but if Moon+ respects the CSS.
So how does one tell if it respects the CSS or not?

I can read books easily and Japanese books render better than in most other reading apps I have tested.

However, Japanese texts are presented horizontally instead of vertically. So would I be correct to assume that it doesn't completely respect a book"s CSS in Japanese?