Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 04:01 AM   #1
madmartigan
madmartigan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Startup Error macOS Catalina

Hi. I installed the macOS 10.15 Beta. When I started Calibre I got this error, any ideas?

calibre, version 3.44.0
ERROR: Startup error: There was an error during calibre startup. Parts of calibre may not function. Click Show details to learn more.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 291, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 235, in start_gui
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 372, in initialize
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/tag_browser/ui.py", line 73, in init_tag_browser_mixin
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/tag_browser/view.py", line 237, in set_database
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/tag_browser/model.py", line 366, in set_database
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 62, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages/calibre/db/cache.py", line 616, in set_pref
File "site-packages/calibre/db/backend.py", line 134, in set
File "site-packages/calibre/db/backend.py", line 128, in __setitem__
File "site-packages/calibre/db/backend.py", line 874, in execute
File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
ReadOnlyError: ReadOnlyError: attempt to write a readonly database
madmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:54 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That indicates the metadata.db file inside the calibre library folder is read only
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
madmartigan

Ah, thank you Kovid. My library is in iCloud, Apple must have changed something there. My permissions for metadata.db now say "You have unknown access." If I can't reset them, can I move metadata.db out of iCloud but keep my books there?
Moderator Notice
inline images are limited to 600x600. I moved it to an attachment. please use attachments for images or logs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-06-26-at-7-48-22-AM.png
Views:	172
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	172120  

Last edited by theducks; 06-26-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Using a Library from a cloud is unsupported and hazardous to its integrity
See Calibre FAQ's about (and everything else) About NAS and shares issues.
Calibre is designed for Local Drive only. It is safe to keep a backup in the cloud (except Google drive, unless it is zipped first)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
madmartigan

Thank you, I just read that FAQ. Hmm. I've had my library in iCloud for many years with no problems (until now, of course). Knowing the risk, I'd still like to know if metadata.db can be moved and my books can remain.
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH as described here https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
Old 06-27-2019, 12:58 AM   #7
madmartigan

Thanks Kovid, I'm getting closer.... The 'how to set env variables' link went over my head so I googled a bit. I added this bit to my .zshrc file:

Code:
export CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH=~/Public/metadata.db
Then at the zsh prompt:

Code:
csd@mbp ~ % $CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH
zsh: permission denied: /Users/csd/Public/metadata.db
Same Calibre error. I don't wish to waste your time, but I'd really love to get Calibre running again (I've learned my lesson on betas now ). Anybody sympathetic to Unix command line novices?
Old 06-27-2019, 01:04 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Setting an env var in zsh is useless unless you are launching calibre from within zsh. You need to set the env var system wide.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
madmartigan

Paid Troubleshooting - Calibre on macOS Catalina

It seems I'm not capable of doing this myself. I'd like to pay someone to TeamViewer into my machine and fix my calibre install me. Please PM me if you're interested.