Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Well begrudgingly last night I bough the light wedge at the Sony Style store. I just felt paying $75 for a light was too much. Considering I could buy another eBook, for my children at $100).

Well my original book cover broke and after many failed attempts to repair I realized I must purchase a book cover. But the new ones are $40!! At this price making the jump to get the customized light was a better value.
So when I show my wife the new cover she says great, now I have to return your Christmas present!!! Doh!!

The 700 Review
Anyhow since I was at the SonyStyle store I decided to look at the 700 see it first hand.

The case
-The case is aluminum. But the chrome edges are made out of plastic.
Screen
- The screen seemed to be about the same size as the 505.
- The font and contrast seem equivalent to the 505.
- The screen is touch screen and works without the stylus.
Perfomance
- This is hard to gauge since it is so subjective. But the 700 seemed more responsive to the 505, though not by much. Books loaded faster and the page turned faster.
Zoom
The zoom feature allows the user to zoom in/out of a book page while keeping the format. For regular books this is not a big deal. But for books with pictures or just viewing pictures this feature woks nicely
- There are five font size settings. What is nice is that a user can go straight to their preferred font size and not have to toggle through each setting.

PDF Support
Well having my 505 on hand, I asked the clerk if he minded me popping out SD card and testing the PDF. He said "go for it". I had my card out before he finished his sentence.

The one area that I was disappointed is that SONY did not implement a margin remove feature as one of the font sizes. In my experience with PDFs this is the only change required to make most PDF readable on the SONY 505.
(Add this feature and I think the PDF with the ZOOM) are completely feasible on the SONY reader
- First thing I noticed is that my 2GB card takes about 1min to scan for new books. The 700 took about 20sec.
- The PDF support is identical to that of the 505. With the exception that there was 5 font sizes instead of 3.
- The ZOOM works great here. I was able to zoom into a picture and table in the PDF and the text was clearly visible.
- Unfortunately the ZOOM only works one page at a time and the ZOOM setting is lost when the page is turned.
Built in Light
The built in light was pretty neat it had two levels and mid and a bright. The light is proved by several LED. The result was an uneven light, but still better than no light
The mid light would be great to help reduce glare

One final word.
[Caution: I believe this was speculation so please don't get too excited]
When I asked for when the device went on sale and how much did it cost. He provided the info and mentioned a potential trade in program and cited how there was one for the 500 to 505. I guess the only reason why I mentioned this is if there is enough folks that would like to upgrade their 505 model for a 700. We might want to voice our opinion that we would like so see such an incentive.

Well that's all I have
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 11-06-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph/ Fixed format
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Regarding the contrast, did you compare a 700 and a 505 side by side? (I'm not doubting you I just want to find out if it's a system wide problem or just a few pre-production faulty devices.)
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Regarding the contrast, did you compare a 700 and a 505 side by side? (I'm not doubting you I just want to find out if it's a system wide problem or just a few pre-production faulty devices.)
Yes, not only did I compare their 505 sitting next to the 700. But I also had my 505 on hand.

It's the plastic layer covering the screen that gives the illusion of inferior screen quality in photographs.
It's like reading the 505 with the light wedge cover.

Speaking of which, it would be interesting if somebody with the 505, a light wedge and a digital camera posted some pictures of the 505 with and with out the light wedge. To see just how different the screen looks.

=X=
Old 11-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

Screen
- The screen seemed to be about the same size as the 505.
- The font and contrast seem equivalent to the 700.
- The screen is touch screen and works without the stylus.
I'm assuming you meant to say "505"?
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard

That wouldbe a yes
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Thanks for the great review! (Now I'll definitely keep my order:-)

Did you notice if the "black flicker" between page changes has been reduced? I read somewhere, that when changing pages by screen gesture, the flicker is non-existent.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post

Did you notice if the "black flicker" between page changes has been reduced? I read somewhere, that when changing pages by screen gesture, the flicker is non-existent.
I agree -- I was disheartened by the other thread where somebody said the contrast was much worse than the 505, but I had kept my order in place. Now I'm happy I did.

Thanks indeed for posting this hands-on review!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post

No there was no "black flicker". The screen goes all white* before the text is displayed. Still a flicker I suppose, but more pleasing to the eye.

=X=
[*] Not true white but eInk white.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
No there was no "black flicker". The screen goes all white* before the text is displayed. Still a flicker I suppose, but more pleasing to the eye.

=X=
Thanks, =x=. Now I am really counting the days until my 700 gets here:-)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
asabz
asabz began at the beginning.

Device: none
That sounds really great! Thanks for your response in my topic as well.

Did you get a chance to try out the highlighting, searching and on screen keyboard?
asabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Thanks for posting this! I was starting to worry about contrast and I had pre-ordered the 700 already. I had the lighted cover for the 505 so I do know what you are saying .
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:

=X=
Hmmm...Thats odd, since in all the videos of the 700 there is still the "black" flicker.
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
on the cybook, you can choose to turn off the black flash ; maybe on the sony as well, and it was turned off.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
on the cybook, you can choose to turn off the black flash ; maybe on the sony as well, and it was turned off.
Who would ever "want" it?
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyr View Post
Who would ever "want" it?
who would ever want it on, do you mean ? well, it doesn't personally bother me, and i believe i heard that if it's *not* on you can have trouble with ghosting after a few page refreshes. i admit that the time i tried it, i turned quite a few pages and didn't see any traces, so i'm not sure how big a problem it is, but as i said it doesn't bother me. i stopped noticing it really quickly.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote