Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Benjam
Benjam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle voyage (2017)
Extract notes from "My Clippings.txt"

Hello,

I've read a lot about the export of notes and highlights in a Kindle (I’ know softwares like Clippings.io, Bookcision, Calibre) .
I know that I can find my notes online with Amazon but I would like to extract them directly from the text file « My Clippings.txt ». In fact this file is kind of a backup file, so when I change my note a new item is created and is not replaced with the original note (and I don’t have a way to know when a note is delete, in that file).

To bypass this problem I’ve found the internal file (*.yjr or .mbp1, depends on the book) that stores actuals highlights and notes. My idea was to match all the notes of My Clippings with the internal file of each book in order to know which file has been deleted (and kept)

But, Kindle uses two types of localisation for the notes : in the Clippings file it’s indicate the location and in the .yjr file it’s indicate a number (I guessed that was the number of word but at least it was not) : « [annotation.personal.note] [ASwAAAAvCwAA: 21660] ». And without the equivalent of these location I can’t know which highlights I’ve kept.

So, is someone know what is the number in the .yjr file and what is the equivalent with the locations.

Thanks for your help

Ps: I code something to execute this job, so I will not do it myself
Benjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
[annotation.personal.note] [ASwAAAAvCwAA: 21660]
It looks like a byte displacement transliterated into Klingon.

= = = =

Seriously -
Search the "Kindle Developer's" sub-forum of this one.
I recall people have already dealt with the question(s) you ask. You should be able to find threads and posts with the information you need.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Here is some background information that may be useful for your project.

The "My Clippings.txt" file relates notes and highlights to "locations" within the book. These are approximate references, but have the advantage of being independent of the book format.

For internal use the Kindle needs to know the start and end positions of notes and highlights to the exact character. There are different methods for resolving these positions based on the format of the book.

For the original MOBI/AZW format the position number is an offset within the raw HTML content of the book. You can divide the offset by 150 and add one to produce the equivalent location number.

For KF8/AZW3 it is more complicated. There is an internal record (DATP) that can be used to translate from position/offset to location number. DATP has a header and two tables. The second table gives the number of raw HTML bytes for each location. Add them up successively to derive the offset that is equivalent to each location.

For books in KFX format there is no raw HTML. Position numbers are mapped to text using internal tables. You would have to break a lot of new ground to correctly map positions to locations for that format.

Good luck.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-28-2017 at 07:57 PM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
extract, locations, mbp1, note, yjr