Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
sekhemty
sekhemty began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Automatic backup of an ebook file before working on it?

The Calibre Editor by default directly modify the original file, without giving the option to back it up; having a backup copy is always handy, and I think that an option to automatically backup the file and work on a copy could be handy.

The Modify epub plugin, used to make small midifications to ebooks, before applying any change create a backup copy named ORIGINAL_EPUB.

Is it possible to have the full fledged editor behave in the same way, if not by default, at least as an option?
sekhemty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think you have those backwards.
There is a tweak that stops this default action
Preferences: Tweaks: <I will let you find it>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why? The editor has checkpoints, simply click the left arrow in the editor repeatedly to go back to the state of the book before any editing was done.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
sekhemty

@kovidgoyal: Yes, but the checkpoints are kept just for the current session; if, let's say, I have to modify an ebook in a two days timeframe, having a separate backup copy could be handy.

@theducks: I can't find that option, I can only see something similar for converting to and from the same format.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Doesn't seem very useful to me. I can't think of any occassions where I would want to go back to the point of time "before doing any edits" as opposed to the point of time "before xxx action". So I'm not particularly interested in implenting this, you can always generate the ORIGINAL_EPUB yourself, by simply using the "Polish Books" tool before running the editor for the first time. Or you can use the "Save a copy" function in the editor itself.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
sekhemty

Ok, thank you anyway.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@sekhempty - FWIW, if I know editing a particular book will take multiple editing sessions or multiple editing tools, I save the book to a sub directory in my Books Under Edit directory and work on it there.

As and when I deem it worthwhile, I bundle the contents of the sub directory into a zip whose name is current date and time -- at least. I tried a couple of version control products, but for me they were overkill - and too bureaucratic.

If a book is admin tagged as Under Edit, it gets a quill pen column icon. I put a link to the relevant Books Under Edit subdirectory in the book's .ONE format. All books which are not admin tagged as Final have a .ONE format file.

Once the editing is done I replace the format(s) in the library, update the admin tag etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote