Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2016, 04:19 AM   #1
c123
c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Purpose of Kobo Aura 2?

Hi

Does anmyopne understand the purpose of this ereader? It is c. 10 USD cheaper than the Glo HD, but the Glo has a superior screen(ppi. Weight and battery capacity are roughly the same, and dimensions vary slightly.

So where is the Aura 2 supposed to be in the line up?
c123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's replacing the discontinued Glo HD.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2016, 04:36 AM   #3
c123
c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has the Glo been discontinued? Is this "official"? Very strange considering that the Glo screen was HD.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:01 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
According to german ereading news site "lesen.net" it was confirmed by a kobo rep ...

http://www.lesen.net/ereader/kobo-st...-glo-hd-29377/

Quote:
Kobo stoppt Verkauf von Kobo Glo HD

Denn der Kobo Aura Edition 2 rundet die Kobo-Modellreihe nicht etwa nach unten ab, sondern ersetzt den zwar älteren, aber deutlich zeitgemäßeren Kobo Glo HD. Das bestätigte uns am heutigen Montag ein Kobo-Sprecher.
Of course, I have no way of telling how reliable this information is.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
According to german ereading news site "lesen.net" it was confirmed by a kobo rep ....
If true, that is extremely disappointing.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
c123

I really enjoyed my Kobo Aura for 2.5 years (until it died). Kobo retiring the Glo HD with its superior screen for a new look Aura 2 (sans SD) that is a miserly 10 USD or so cheaper is very poor.

In German speaking countries, the Tolino Vision 3 HD (HD screen, but also waterproof...) is much a better deal, as long as you do not want to zoom in on images and are not bothered by its limited library management features (although it does seem to have a very doofd and interesting cloud feature, if you are into that).

Seeing as the lack of image zoom on the Tolino Vision 3 HD is a deal braker for me, seems the hunt for my next ereader just got more difficult (or simpler).
Old 09-28-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur
TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
The Aura Edition 2 is actually a very nice ereader, the problem is it's over priced. As a replacement for the Touch 2.0 it would have made alot of sense. A quality budget friendly device where screen res isn't so important. At £100 though it's coming up against ereaders with that killer 300ppi res and it just doesn't quite match up.

I wonder if they've replaced the Glo HD because it wasn't selling, it generated too little profit due to it's costs or was unreliable (or a mixture of all 3).

Kobo are pretty poor at providing information though. Why don't they officially confirm it's discontinuation (if that is indeed what's happened)? It's like this near mythical firmware update for KA1. Just a simple 'A firmware update is coming within the next month' or something would be sufficient.

I am a loyal Kobo customer but dang it they sure do make it hard to love 'em sometimes.
TheHazardsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I could be wrong, but isn't it pretty rare for companies to announce they're discontinuing a product? I can't think of any examples of companies doing that; the products just kinda fade away.

I'd be happy to hear examples that counter this belief.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the purpose is to simply keep their product line-up fresh. They want to be able to regularly announce new devices so they don't look like they're lagging behind the competition.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I could be wrong, but isn't it pretty rare for companies to announce they're discontinuing a product? I can't think of any examples of companies doing that; the products just kinda fade away.
Yes, I'd agree with that. Most I have seen have been part of the announcement of the replacement product. The only other ones I can think of are really to announce when support is finishing. But, that tends to be non-consumer products.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post

I'd be happy to hear examples that counter this belief.
It has been confirmed by a second source (me).

Here:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...omment-1139916

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-29-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does this device have a flush screen, or recessed? I can't tell from the pictures.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #13
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
The screen is not flush.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Darn, that would have justified the name.....too bad. I rather liked the flush screen of my original Aura.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd be happy if it were waterproof, even with the other shortcomings. I don't mind the resolution or the loss of the SD slot. But c'mon, man. Give us something new.

As it is now, while the Aura 2 isn't a bad device, it does feel like a step down from both the Glo HD and the original Aura.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote