Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2023, 11:08 AM   #1
w4tchdoge
w4tchdoge began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Configure device before initial Calibre scan?

Hello there. I've recently begun using Calibre as a book management tool, and today I have attempted to use the send to device feature to transfer files from the Calibre library on my Windows machine to my Android device via USB.

The issue I am facing is that when I plug in my Android device and choose to manage it on Calibre, it immediately starts scanning the filesystem of my Android device for files without giving me a chance to configure what folder(s) I want it to look in.

The Android device I am attempting to transfer files onto is a device I use for more than just reading eBooks. As such, there are a fairly large number of files on it which would mean that full scan of the device that Calibre does on connection would take a fairly long time.

From the googling I have done, there is one thread from roughly 10 years ago where the response to OP's question (which I will paraphrase) of "Is there a setting to turn off Calibre's auto scan of a device before the folders I want Calibre to scan can be configured" seems to have been to "disable the MTP plugin" (again, paraphrased).

I do not know whether this was an acceptable answer to the OP of the thread, but in my opinion this is a non-answer. I am not trying to avoid managing my device, I am trying to tell Calibre that "Hey, I know that this device is new to you, so I'm just letting you know that this is the folder on this device that you need to look in. Ignore all the other folders". I am trying to avoid wasting what could be more than half an hour of my time waiting for Calibre to sift through ~137 GB of files on my Android device looking for any files previously added by Calibre when I know they're not anywhere on my device.

I would greatly appreciate any information on whether it is possible to stop Calibre from scanning a device on connection and allow me to configure the folder's it should be looking in. And if this is not at all possible please do let me know as well.
w4tchdoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot stop the initial scan. Once it is done you can configure what folders you would like it to restrict scanning to it the future.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I mitigate it by connecting a new phone or tablet to Calibre before adding content, but after adding the 256G SD card and any folders/directories there will be.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 01:13 AM   #4
santiagodraco
santiagodraco began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You cannot stop the initial scan. Once it is done you can configure what folders you would like it to restrict scanning to it the future.
Why is the initial scan reading all media files and scanning metadata? Everyone says "it's just scanning to get the folder list" which is not true.

This is a VERY time consuming process and it occurs without any real notice. It should prompt that it's going to do such a scan and give a warning and also limit the scan to obtaining the file structure and then let you choose the folders before scanning for content.

Sorry for sounding negative. Super frustrated and having my phone locked to my PC for over an hour now without any choice in the matter.
santiagodraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you do not remove the Calibre files it leaves behind in the root, it happens once.
People (and apps) put books everywhere. This is the only sure fire way to inventory
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert