Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
ChrisCs
ChrisCs doesn't litterChrisCs doesn't litter

Device: Sony (PRS-600 & 650), iPad + Marvin (Mini & Air 2), Kobo Glo HD
New E-reader?

Hi,

I'm considering getting a new e-reader, and I'm looking for some ideas of what works for others.

I'm currently using an iPad Air 2 and Marvin as my primary reading device, and I'm organizing my books with Calibre.

I started on an iPhone with pdb's, then moved to a Sony Reader and e-pubs for the last few years, with the e-pubs coming from several stores (B&N, Sony, Kobo).

The two things leading me to consider a new e-reader is some concern about using the iDevice late at night, and the problems the Calibre plug-ins for getting Calibre and Marvin talking to each with the last few iOS versions.

I'm in the US, so I'm looking for a e-ink device that would work with my existing e-Pub library in Calibre.

Any suggestions or experiences that could help with a choice?

Thanks!

Chris
ChrisCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Look for an ereader that has features you like, and don't worry about the format.
calibre will make format something you don't have to think about.

Kindle and Kobo are both good choices, the usual difference is the Kobo has lots of customization options for fine-tuning (nitpicking ) the reading experience, whereas the Kindle has very stable firmware.

Fringe benefits:
You can email books to your Kindle and get annotations synced to your smartphone/tablet.
Kobo has direct integration with pocket.

If you plan on running custom hacks, get a Kobo -- the Kindle is no longer able to be jailbroken.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-15-2015 at 11:56 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Given that you're already a Calibre user, and your library is e-pub, I'd suggest a Kobo e-reader. While they're hard to find in a brick & mortar store, there are a number of users here on MobileRead that recommend ordering from Chapters (a Canadian retailer that used to own Kobo.) As a bonus, the Canadian dollar has been tanking against the US dollar due to the massive drop in oil prices.

I highly recommend the Aura HD, and hence its successor the Aura H2O. In addition, there is the new Kobo Glo HD coming out in a few weeks that might work for you.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:18 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I highly recommend the Aura HD, and hence its successor the Aura H2O. In addition, there is the new Kobo Glo HD coming out in a few weeks that might work for you.
I lot of people seem to like the H2O, but personally I found the infrared touchscreen on it to be extremely inaccurate and difficult to use, to the extent where it led to me selling the device. I'd strongly suggest that if the OP is considering buying a Kobo, he tries it out first before buying it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try before buy : kobo. Not easy in many countries. Is HD and h2o different touch technology ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Try before buy : kobo. Not easy in many countries. Is HD and h2o different touch technology ?
Both the Aura HD and Aura H2O use IR touchscreens. The original Kobo Aura had a capacitive touchscreen.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Everything depends if your ebooks in calibre are DRM free, if so as others have said it's quick and simple to convert to mobi and use a Kindle. If not then you need an ePub reader. Kobo is the best option for ePub. There is a new kobo being released in the US in a few weeks, the Kobo Glo HD, same screen dpi as the Kindle Voyage but for a lot less. There's a thread running in the Kobo forum if you want to know more.

Not sure who's selling it in the U.S. (If anyone other than Kobo) but someone on the kobo forum would be able to guide you.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Both the Aura HD and Aura H2O use IR touchscreens. The original Kobo Aura had a capacitive touchscreen.
i guess I must be one of the few who has trouble telling the difference - the number of timed I've asked google what type of screen my [insert owned device name here] has, is ridiculous
Old 04-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
i guess I must be one of the few who has trouble telling the difference - the number of timed I've asked google what type of screen my [insert owned device name here] has, is ridiculous
You wouldn't have had any trouble if you'd used my Voyage and H2O. The H2O's touchscreen was just hopeless - it was virtually impossible to tap a small hyperlink for a footnote; it would just turn the page instead. On the Voyage it just works 100% of the time. The IR touchscreen on my Kindle Touch, on the other hand, worked perfectly, so it's certainly not an issue that's common to all such touchscreens. I don't know if I just had a faulty H2O - perhaps I did.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
It's easy to tell. With an IR touchscreen, you can trigger it with virtually ANYTHING that breaks the infrared beams. That includes fingers, sticks, pencil erasers, the corner of the blanket while you're lying in bed reading, a moth landing on the screen because it's drawn by the light...

With a capacitive screen, you need either a finger (or other body part) or a special stylus with a rubber tip to interact with the screen.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Ok thanks. Budgie feathers would rapidly page flip my old Sony reader so that would have been IR. Never saw the kobo do that but by then I had learned not to leave it face up
Old 04-17-2015, 01:56 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It's easy to tell. With an IR touchscreen, you can trigger it with virtually ANYTHING that breaks the infrared beams. That includes fingers, sticks, pencil erasers, the corner of the blanket while you're lying in bed reading, a moth landing on the screen because it's drawn by the light...

With a capacitive screen, you need either a finger (or other body part) or a special stylus with a rubber tip to interact with the screen.
I can confirm that cat's paws can also turn capacitive pages just fine But not tails.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:06 AM   #13
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Don't forget sand, raindrops, flies, bird droppings, etc.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

if the new waterproof kobo h2o page page flipped on raindrops that would be a tad embarrassing
Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
if the new waterproof kobo h2o page page flipped on raindrops that would be a tad embarrassing
It does detect water drops on the screen and brings up a message telling you to make sure that you have the ports closed, etc. Luckily this can be switched off.