Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
dphirschler
dphirschler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
New PW2, now what?

I just got a Kindle PW2 for Christmas. So excited! I love this thing. My previous Kindle is/was a Kindle Touch, which I jailbroke and used for several years. Still a great reader IMO.

Anyways, with this new PW2, here is what I have done so far:

- Went through all the tutorial screens as quickly as I could.
- Put it in Airplane mode.
- Took a photo of the Device Info screen. I have Firmware 5.4.3.2.
- Connected with USB and deleted the partial update file that had been downloading while I went through the tutorial.
- Installed the jailbreak.

I went to bed after that. Satisfied my Kindle was safe from updating and could be recovered if it did. It was, after all, still in airplane mode. Now this morning I've been fiddling with it some more. I have done the following:

- Installed KUAL and the KUAL Helper
- Installed the Backdoor Lock KUAL extension
- Installed the K5 Rescue Pack
- Installed the MobileRead Package Installer

At this point, I tested it out a little. These are my observations.

- KUAL appears in the documents list, but won't launch. It gives an "Application Error. The Selected Program could not be started. Please Try Again." I am worried any KUAL extensions are also not working (including the backdoor lock).

- HackedUpReader is not installed yet because I did not see PW2 listed as a supported device. Is it true it's not working on PW2 yet? Also, I am unsure how to install it. It is listed in the KUAL extensions page, but the installation instructions make it look like I should install it separately and then install a KUAL GUI launcher for it.

- LibFreeType - is it necessary or not?

- MobileRead Package Installer - What applications can I install using this?

- Is there an app or extension that adds the progress bar to my books as I am reading? I had a similar thing installed on my KT. I would love to see it on my new PW2.

I am looking to you experts to answer my basic questions. Thanks! BTW, I don't know if it matters, but this appears to be a NON-ad-supported Kindle.

Darryl
dphirschler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What now? How about reading some books?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@dphirschler-
Kual is probably not working because the MKK is not installed completely...this use to be a separate thing to install, but it has been incorporated into the JB for the last several versions...if you installed the latest JB (v1.14N) it should be there but you probably need to do a restart via Menu>Settings>Restart to get it to take. I would also recommend downloading and using the hacks through NiLuJe's Snapshots thread as these are the most current. Finally, be sure you add the latest version of BackDoorLock hack via Kual to be extra careful to avoid OTA sneak updates.

* Concerning the MRInstaller, if/when you upgrade your FW to >= 5.6.1, you can no longer install any unofficial (non-Amazon) packages from Mobile Read the usually way (by placing in root and updating). You will need to place the packages into the MRpackages folder and update via KUAL (you can thank NiLuJe for being sneaky!)

** Concerning the rest of your questions, I can't help as I don't use those things...

Last edited by GoSharks; 12-26-2014 at 12:15 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
dphirschler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What now? How about reading some books?
Yes! Already 24% into "Frankenstein" by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. Creepy...

Darryl
Old 12-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
dphirschler

Well, KUAL still fails even after a restart. Does this mean I need to reinstall my jailbreak and then restart? Or should I manually install MKK? FWIW, I did install the v1.14N jailbreak, so MKK should have been bundled with it. But I did not restart before I installed KUAL.

Update: I notice an mkk folder off the root, so I assume MKK is installed.

Darryl
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dphirschler-
Are you sure you used the latest KUAL and placed the correct file (2.0) in the documents folder?.., the MKK folder implies that MKK is on your device and if you did a restart without the usb cable not attached, it should be functional.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
dphirschler

I was certain to place the v2 file on my Kindle. But now that it is not working, I have my doubts. Should I try uninstalling KUAL and reinstalling it? Or maybe install over it?

Darryl
Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphirschler View Post
I was certain to place the v2 file on my Kindle. But now that it is not working, I have my doubts. Should I try uninstalling KUAL and reinstalling it? Or maybe install over it?

Darryl
Just delete the file from documents and put the 2.0 file in...there really is no installing or uninstalling.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@dphischler-

Errrk!...just reread your original post... read the first post in the KUAL thread, particularly the FAQ's. If you have a 4GB non-Japanese PW2, you need to be on FW 5.4.5 or higher to get KUAL to work.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -

I have Firmware 5.4.3.2.

- - - -

- KUAL appears in the documents list, but won't launch. It gives an "Application Error. The Selected Program could not be started. Please Try Again."
- - - - -
Active Documents (of which KUAL is one) are broken (by Amazon) on that firmware version.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
dphirschler

OK, so now I am looking for a recommendation. Manually update to 5.4.5, or let it update to 5.6.1 OTA? Pros/cons?

Darryl
Old 12-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

@dphirschler-
Only update to 5.6.1 if you are sure everything you want runs on that firmware as you can not downgrade afterwards.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
OK, so now I am looking for a recommendation. Manually update to 5.4.5, or let it update to 5.6.1 OTA? Pros/cons?

Darryl
The only thing I have seen reported is an improvement in cloud collections with 5.6.1 -
If your a heavy user of Amazon's Cloud Collections - -
otherwise, stay with 5.4.5
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:25 PM   #14
dphirschler

I went to Firmware 5.4.5.1. KUAL now works. I am still not sure how to install HackedUpReader. But I'll get it installed soon enough. For the moment, I am happy with KUAL working. Finally got the backdoor locked.

Darryl
Old 12-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #15
dphirschler

HackedUpReader now installed. I just installed it by copying to the root and Updating. Didn't have to install the fonts.

Still looking for the progress bar app (kindlet?).

Darryl