Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Recommend a cheap Audible title, please

I have $3 left on an Audible coupon; I think it will expire in the next day or two, and I can't find anything to use it on. I'm OK with the audiobook costing up to $10.

I've looked at various lists of titles but nothing is jumping out at me. I already picked up tons of classics when they were free. I'm thinking I should be able to find a Whispersync pairing. In that case, the Kindle book should be no more than $7-$8.

I like domestic suspense and historical mysteries, especially WWI or WWII era. Slight preference for female protagonist. Don't like a lot of romance or humor in my mysteries.

Any ideas?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I have $3 left on an Audible coupon; I think it will expire in the next day or two, and I can't find anything to use it on. I'm OK with the audiobook costing up to $10.

I've looked at various lists of titles but nothing is jumping out at me. I already picked up tons of classics when they were free. I'm thinking I should be able to find a Whispersync pairing. In that case, the Kindle book should be no more than $7-$8.

I like domestic suspense and historical mysteries, especially WWI or WWII era. Slight preference for female protagonist. Don't like a lot of romance or humor in my mysteries.

Any ideas?
Phryne Fisher books if you don't have them or haven't encountered them. Also, I just bought a couple of Georgette Heyer books (Kindle Unlimited) for free, and got Audible Whispersync for $3.99. Yes, the Heyer are Romance, but they're historically accurate and very well written. Phryne is 1928 Melbourne Australia and again, well written and witty.

Also, there are Heyer mysteries, set in 1930's Britain, as well as her more well known Regency romances. For example, The Unfinished Clue, for $4.39 plus $2.99 for the Audible WhisperSync version.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Phryne Fisher books if you don't have them or haven't encountered them. Also, I just bought a couple of Georgette Heyer books (Kindle Unlimited) for free, and got Audible Whispersync for $3.99. Yes, the Heyer are Romance, but they're historically accurate and very well written. Phryne is 1928 Melbourne Australia and again, well written and witty.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think you're the one who's recommended Phyrne Fisher mysteries in the past! I've looked at the descriptions, but for some reason they just don't grab me; I think I have the first e-book in the series as a freebie, so maybe one of these days ...

Quote:
Also, there are Heyer mysteries, set in 1930's Britain, as well as her more well known Regency romances. For example, The Unfinished Clue, for $4.39 plus $2.99 for the Audible WhisperSync version.
I had overlooked Georgette Heyer's mysteries; that's a good suggestion, if I can convince myself to rebuy Kindle versions of books I bought as epubs.

But I think I'm going to go with Walter Lord's Miracle at Dunkirk. I got an Open Road e-mail showing the e-book on sale for $2, and then I realized I could borrow it for free through KU. Then the companion audiobook is only $4.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, the Heyer mysteries are either not KU, or not WhisperSync, except for one where the Audible is >$7.

However, Cocaine Blues, that first Phryne, is $.99 (though you already have it, I believe) and $2.99 for the WhisperSync Audible version. I can attest that the Audible versions are well done.

Also, consider watching the series. It's being streamed on Acorn TV, which you can try for free, I believe. I'd be surprised if Essie Davis, playing Phryne, didn't captivate you.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also, consider watching the series. It's being streamed on Acorn TV, which you can try for free, I believe. I'd be surprised if Essie Davis, playing Phryne, didn't captivate you.
You're determined to convert me, aren't you! Didn't know there was a series. I can get Acorn TV on my Roku, so I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Meant to say: Didn't know there was a TV series.

Last edited by Catlady; 09-04-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Advert
Old 09-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yup, determined. This is one of those series that I actually resisted "binge reading" just so I would have another one for the times when nothing seems to motivate me. Sadly, however, I ran out and have read them all now. And I'm not quite ready to do a re-read yet.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I changed my mind again. I went searching through Open Road titles and found a blast from the past--Ballerina by Edward Stewart. After borrowing the e-book from KU, the companion Audible audiobook was $3.49. I have this book in hardcover and I remember that I loved it, so I'm really excited to revisit this one!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
First of all, I didn't know there was a series, and secondly that it's on AcornTV! I discovered AcornTV recently (my one-month free trial is ending next week) but I've since watched all the Miss Marple episodes (I've read all the books) and I'm now treating myself to the Poirot episodes after each book I read in the series. I now plan to do the same thing when I start reading the Fisher books.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Well, I changed my mind again. I went searching through Open Road titles and found a blast from the past--Ballerina by Edward Stewart. After borrowing the e-book from KU, the companion Audible audiobook was $3.49. I have this book in hardcover and I remember that I loved it, so I'm really excited to revisit this one!
Somewhat off topic, but I'm really having fun with Open Road media. There are **so many** titles that I'm interested in that they publish, and they are participating with the Freading library service, so I can check out their books. I'll check out Ballerina since you recommend it.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Somewhat off topic, but I'm really having fun with Open Road media. There are **so many** titles that I'm interested in that they publish, and they are participating with the Freading library service, so I can check out their books. I'll check out Ballerina since you recommend it.
I have just finished going through the hundreds of KU Open Road titles with companion audiobooks, most of which seem to be priced at $3.49. Among them are Ellery Queen, Mary Roberts Rinehart, Hildegarde Withers mysteries, a few Rex Stout and Leon Uris titles, books that became movies (Lost Horizon, Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Hot Rock, Six Days of the Condor). So much fun stuff that I want to take advantage of during the next two months I plan to keep KU.