Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
lopan24
lopan24 began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Question Removing/Hiding Percentage or entire Progress Bar

Hello

I am looking for a way to hide the percentage (of pages read) that is shown at the bottom left of my screen when I am reading a book. Or if necessary the entire progress bar with the percentage.

Right now my kindle is not jail broken and fully updated as far as FW is concerned (as far as I can tell). But I am willing to do whatever it takes in order to do this.

I can not seem to find a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
lopan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopan24 View Post
Hello

I am looking for a way to hide the percentage (of pages read) that is shown at the bottom left of my screen when I am reading a book. Or if necessary the entire progress bar with the percentage.

Right now my kindle is not jail broken and fully updated as far as FW is concerned (as far as I can tell). But I am willing to do whatever it takes in order to do this.

I can not seem to find a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I have been requesting this from Amazon from day one, have not found a way to do this yet, here's hoping...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Have anyone found recently a way of removing the reading progress bar? I really wanted a way of hiding it, since I find it defeating in longer books.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
Have anyone found recently a way of removing the reading progress bar? I really wanted a way of hiding it, since I find it defeating in longer books.
Full instructions at:

http://bit.ly/KAxgTZ
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by muness View Post
Full instructions at:

http://bit.ly/KAxgTZ
Thanks for pointing at this solution. I have already installed it and I'm quite happy with the results (though not perfect, they're perfectly suitable as is).

Great work, btw.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
Thanks for pointing at this solution. I have already installed it and I'm quite happy with the results (though not perfect, they're perfectly suitable as is).

Great work, btw.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad it worked for you.
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #7
fedex
fedex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Is it possible to get this working on the Kindle 4?

My device has a jailbreak, but Launchpad isn't working on Kindle 4. Otherwise i installed Kite and put the progRem.sh in the K:\kite\ondrop\progRem on the Kindle 4. Nothing happends. Can you help me muness?
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
sinan
Enthusiast
sinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of itsinan has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW
For a simple solution via Kual extension:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2673912

Last edited by sinan; 11-02-2013 at 02:47 PM.
sinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinan View Post
fantastic! thanks

-edit. although it only covers it up, not removing it (and letting more words fill the screen), but still thanks
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinan View Post
Wouldn't this drain the battery faster? infinite cycle with little usleep (1000)
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Wouldn't this drain the battery faster? infinite cycle with little usleep (1000)
true. but if the thing annoys you that much, that is a price you have to be willing to pay.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WARNING: This plugin will make Kindle touch FREEZE UP ENTIRELY... (still figuring out why)

in the interim:
Quote:
I ContentPanel:UserActionInfo: PageTurnAction=NextPageAction:
and
Quote:
I ContentPanel:UserActionInfo: PageTurnAction=PreviousPageAction:
are "greppable"/"awkable" in the showlog -f

perhaps that might be worth a look, but it's still a tradeoff... constant page updates or following an internal log... not sure what would be best.

Code:
tail -F /var/log/messages 2>/dev/null | exec /usr/bin/parselog | awk '/.*PageAction*./  {system("eips -d l=FFF,w=758,h=48 [-x 0 -y 977 -w 0] ")}  '
maybe... (untested as yet...) still figuring out why it kills the kindle touch

hmm... first thing that strikes me is that those [ and ] are to denote an optional parameter...

Quote:
to print strings: eips [row] [col] [-h] string
-h for highlighted text
to show image: eips -g|-b image_path [-w waveform -f -x xpos -y ypos -v]
-g for png, -b for bitmap
-w waveform can be gc16 gl16 or du, default is gc16
-f for full update, default is partial update
-x -y in units of pixels
-v for inverted picture
to paint a retangle on screen: eips -d l=a,w=b,h=c [-x xx -y yy -w wf]
a is gray level in hex, b is width, c is height, with optional xx yy location, waveform mode
eips -d l=a,w=b,h=c [-x xx -y yy -w wf]

means

eips -d l=a,w=b,h=c -x xx -y yy -w wf (with the last 3 being optional)

but that is not what is killing it.... (still checking)

Last edited by twobob; 11-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
twobob

ah right...

Quote:
[root@kindle root]# eips -d l=FFF,w=758,h=48 -x 0 -y 977
the x & y values are out of range for the smaller screens.

Thus exploding the kindle.

working on a fix.

I guess eips -d l=FFF,w=600,h=48 -x 0 -y 751 , I'll test it.

Last edited by twobob; 11-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
twobob

okay. my showlog awk wangle works pretty tidily.

I'll repack this to detect the device next and release.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
twobob

Post hideprogressbar.sh (all use cases - other than DX)

PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh

PLATFORM="$(cat /sys/devices/platform/mxc_epdc_fb/graphics/fb0/modes)"

echo $PLATFORM

if [ -"$PLATFORM"  ]; then

# it's probably something ancient

if [ ! -/proc/fiveway_wake   ] ; then

echo "k2 or something detected"

echo "" > /var/log/messagestail -/var/log/messages 2>/dev/null | \

awk '/.*PageAction*./ || /.*acxmgrd*./ || /.*NextPage*./ || /.*Reader*./ {system("/mnt/us/extensions/hideProgressBar/bin/wiperk2.sh &")}  '

exit 0

else
    echo 
"k3 or k4 or something detected"

echo "" > /var/log/messagestail -/var/log/messages 2>/dev/null | \

awk '/.*PageAction*./ || /.*acxmgrd*./ || /.*NextPage*./ || /.*Reader*./ {system("/mnt/us/extensions/hideProgressBar/bin/wiperk4.sh &")}  '

exit 0

fi

fi

if [ -"$PLATFORM"  ]; then

if [ "$PLATFORM!= "${PLATFORM/758/}]; then

echo "PW detected"

echo "" > /var/log/messagestail -/var/log/messages 2>/dev/null exec /usr/bin/parselog | \

awk '/.*PageTurnAction*./ || /.*JunoExecutionManager*./  {system("eips -d l=FFF,w=758,h=48 -x 0 -y 977")}  '

else

# it's something else, probably older

echo "Non-PW detected"

echo "" > /var/log/messagestail -/var/log/messages 2>/dev/null exec /usr/bin/parselog | \

awk '/.*PageAction*./ || /.*acxmgrd*./ {system("eips -d l=FFF,w=600,h=40 -x 0 -y 760 ")}  '

fi
fi 

enjoy.

I /could/ expand this cover DX's... but I'm not sure it is an issue on DX?

Last edited by twobob; 11-04-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: its PageTurnAction on a PW - DUH. EDIT 2 added startup use-cases