Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
RedHakaw
RedHakaw began at the beginning.

Device: Isilo
please advice which should I buy

Hello!

I need a device that can

1.) read Isilo format files, with all isilo functionality or equivalent
2.) read pdf files with useful functionalities
3.) stay lit and on, I want to be able to display a page for hours without the back light going dim and device turning off. I do this when reading Piano/Guitar pages, I hate to interrupt playing to touch the screen just to keep the light on and the device turning off. I don't care for battery life.
4.) browse the web with a browser nearly the same with the PC, I don't need flash or java etc.

budget 300USD

I know all these seems impossible, atleast give some options that have most of the 4 requirements

cheers!

RedHakaw
RedHakaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Probably some kind of tablet, if you can find an app that reads iSilo files, but I don't know if all have a way to turn off the screen-saving timeout type of thing.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
On the tablet I tried, you could disable sleep mode... Don't know about the file format. Do you really spend hours at time looking at the very same page without interruption? I used to play a lot but I would never have spent more than 30 minutes on a half page (a page on a tablet is about a half page) without a break or throwing the score away in disgust.

I also assume you will only use your device indoors and probably plugged in too. You might want to take a look at the cable possibilities. Mine would never go from a piano stand to an outlet...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
RedHakaw
RedHakaw began at the beginning.

Device: Isilo
I need something that can stay lit even unplugged.

so which tablet has the longest "stay lit" feature?
RedHakaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
They can stay lit... until they run out of battery. Which, depending on the level of light and use of wifi (and how much the processor is used) is very variable. Mine last about 7 hours with minimum light setting and wifi on (listening to a web radio). I would say around 6 hours if I'm playing a game at the same time. And if I put the light at the maximum setting... perhaps 4 hours.

If you need some extra battery time, you can buy an external battery. Some are quite cheap and will allow you to double (or triple) the battery life... It's what I use when I travel to places where I might not be able to charge my devices for a long time.
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert