Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

My cheap ebook readers for travel

OK - I own multiple REB1200's, REB1100's, Hardened (hammerhead) tablets, Sony reader, a (damn them) argus, Sony B&W Cleo's, older HP Palmtops, etc. However, as I find myself doing more outings, travel for work, and campouts now with my webloes and future scouts, I have swapped devices for travel and outdoor use.

While at home and in bed I can't beat the 1200 without lights. While in the backyard I love the Sony reader of the HP palmtops. I have several Sony PDA's that take 'AA' cells and are monochrome so they can be read anywhere and can fit in a shirt pocket. If the argus actually took decent size memory cards OR EVEN SOLD THEM it would be better in my opinion with its' LCD display and replaceable cells than the Sony. WORST customer service and sales I ever dealt with was with the ibook/Argus.

Due to recent issues with TSA & Homeland security (extra 1200 batteries caused a security panic), I now carry either a Nintendo DS Lite or a Nintendo GBA Advanced. Both go through security without a glitch because they see so many of them. The GBA can fit in a shirt pocket and with a supercard SD adaptor (www.dealextreme.com) can hold a few hundred books (with conversion). The 20 hour battery life is decent and you can pick up USB chargers for $10 at Walmart that take 'AA' cells for those wonderful delays at the airports.

The DS Lite and a slot 1 adaptor is a great travel friend. Again, there are outboard chargers or adapters that take standard batteries. A slot 1 adaptor with DS Reader allows for an unlimited amount of books to be taken with. As well as allowing movies to be played. The reader takes .txt files and you have to convert the movies. The M3 adapter uses micro sd cards - so you can bring along an unlimited amount of entertainment. (Please - no comments about eye strain - I don't have any - just horrid vision that requires reading glasses and standard glasses). (I also have a sansa 8GB MP3 player that can play movies, but have had issues with airport security not knowing what it was)

I have gotten into the habit of carrying the GBA or DS Lite in an aquapac
(http://www.aquapac.net/) around my neck for two reasons. TSA sees the things through the clear plastic and does not have to require opening things up, and I also use the aquapacs at home or the hotels in the hot tubs since no moisture gets through. And I will mention that the aquapac folks have the BEST customer service I have ever dealt with. I have used the 1200's in an aquapac without issues for years. No sand/water/moisture ever.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote