Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What's the latest "over the air" K3 firmware version?

What's the latest firmware update for the K3 that's been sent out "over the air"? My K3 is still on 3.0.1 - is that as it should be?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You'd think that as we're on 3.0.3 firmware now (still says early preview but I've had this for weeks now) that your Kindle should have been updated to 3.0.2 by now?

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 12-08-2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: edit re brackets
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, that's essentially what I was asking: has 3.0.2 been sent out as an automatic over the air update?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Are you uncomfortable doing the manual 3.0.3 update?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Not in the least. The reason I ask is that I very rarely have the 3G turned on on my Kindle (it probably hasn't been on for a month, if not more). Yesterday I turned it on for a couple of hours, sort of expecting to get a firmware update, and was slightly surprised not to receive one, hence my question about whether the 3.0.2 upgrade had ever been delivered automatically.
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My guess is that the updates come after it's been idle for a while. Or they're something kicked off by Amazon every few days or so. I wouldn't expect it to happen right after you turn the wireless on.

I know if I were reading, and wanted to pop into the Kindle store for a few minutes, so I turned the 3G on and my device immediately started updating itself, I'd be a little miffed.

My recommendation is just to go ahead and install 3.0.3. It's been rock solid for me for months now.
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see. I wonder if the number of Kindles in the wild means it's taking forever to update them, especially when people keep their wireless off for long periods of time. I've only received one OTA update for my K3 but I can't remember which one.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I got the update 3.0.2 ' over the air' some months ago, just after I phoned Amazon for problems with my Kindle. I don't know if it was just for me, or part of a greater scheme? Since then I have updated myself to 3.0.3.

Edit: got a replacement last month which I also updated to 3.0.3. Working as smoothly as it should.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
I don't believe 3.0.2 was ever sent out as an automatic update. My K3 is still on 3.0.1 and I enable the wireless often enough that I would have received 3.0.2 if it had been sent out.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Do NOT upgrade !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's the latest firmware update for the K3 that's been sent out "over the air"? My K3 is still on 3.0.1 - is that as it should be?

Thanks!
I went 2 months without any problems using 3.0.1. When I had 3.0.0 and now upgraded to 3.0.2 and now 3.0.3, I have had intermittant spontaneous reset problems.

I suspect the metal hooks on the original cover were nullified in some way by 3.0.1 and now may be shorting out the Kindle WiFi LG 3.

I have 3.0.3 and have ordered the Marware Eco-Flip Kindle Flip Case (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle), Black, which uses a different method instead of metal spines.

Keep that 3.0.1 as long as you can. It was the best firmware Amazon had for this model.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-08-2010 at 09:00 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I went 2 months without any problems using 3.0.1. When I had 3.0.0 and now upgraded to 3.0.2 and now 3.0.3, I have had intermittant spontaneous reset problems.

I suspect the metal hooks on the original cover were nullified in some way by 3.0.1 and now may be shorting out the Kindle WiFi LG 3.

I have 3.0.3 and have ordered the M-Edge Executive Kindle Jacket, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle) which uses straps on the 4 corners instead of metal spines.

Keep that 3.0.1 as long as you can. It was the best firmware Amazon had for this model.
I have 3.0.3 on my Kindle 3G + WiFi (not sure where your LG is coming from) and a lighted cover and have not had any of the problems you are having. In fact, updated solved the slow page turn problem I developed.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only Kindle WiFi has this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have 3.0.3 on my Kindle 3G + WiFi (not sure where your LG is coming from) and a lighted cover and have not had any of the problems you are having. In fact, updated solved the slow page turn problem I developed.
ONLY the Kindle WiFi has this problem. The Kindle 3G does NOT have this problem. For the WiFi KEEP 3.0.1.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
ONLY the Kindle WiFi has this problem. The Kindle 3G does NOT have this problem. For the WiFi KEEP 3.0.1.
HarryT has a 3G Kindle (see post #5).
Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard

Missed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
HarryT has a 3G Kindle (see post #5).
I missed that. Sorry.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

No prob.