Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
Changing screensaver on a Kindle Touch - FOR DUMMIES

Hi everyone!

I was very excited to read about the progresses the genius people on this forum did on jailbreaking the Kindle Touch and installing the screensaver hack.

However, just to make sure I understood correctly, I'm writing here a short summary for myself and for the other non-experts about how to proceed from beginning to end. Here we go:

OUTDATED INFORMATION - THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT WORK ON CURRENT KINDLES

1) Download the jailbreak hack: http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak
2) Extract the file "jailbreak.mp3"
3) Connect your Kindle to your computer with the USB cable. You'll see your Kindle as a storage device
4) Create a folder named "music" in the root of the USB storage device. If "music" already exists, back it up and create an EMPTY folder named "music"
5) Copy jailbreak.mp3 to the "music" folder you just created
6) Download the screensaver hack: https://github.com/downloads/yifanlu...nsaver_1.0.zip
7) Extract the file "update_simple_screensaver_1.0_install.bin" and copy it to the root of your Kindle (seen as a USB storage device)
8) Disconnect your Kindle from the USB port of your computer (safely)
9) Follow the instructions on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMyv6nSAOU0. Basically, you need to power on the Kindle, press "More" in the upper right corner, choose "Experimental", then "Mp3 Player", then press "Press to Jailbreak"
10) The Kindle will be jailbroken and, right after, without requiring further action, the screensaver hack will also be installed
11) Reconnect your Kindle to your computer with the USB cable
12) Check the folder XXXXXXXXX - QUESTION! PLEASE HELP ME HERE! WHAT FOLDER SHOULD THE SCREENSAVERS BE STORE IN?
13) Put your images in that folder, with names bg_xsmall_ss##.png, where ## is a two digit number from 00 to 99. There MUST be an image named bg_xsmall_ss00.png and you CANNOT skip a number (ex: bg_xsmall_ss00.png, bg_xsmall_ss02.png but no bg_xsmall_ss01.png). Only acceptable format is 600 x 800 png greyscale images.
14) Disconnect your Kindle from your computer... and you're done!!!!!! :-)

Is this correct? DO you confirm that the "src" folders in the jailbreak archive and in the screensaver archive do not need to be copied? Could you please help me with the folder?

Thanks a lot to all experts! Congratulations on your awesome job!

I look forward to integrating this procedure in the automatic installer that incorporates all the work of you genius experts and helps dummies like me install their custom screensavers. If anyone of you has a Kindle Touch and would like to help me test my app, that would be more than welcome!

Thanks a lot again!

K

Last edited by Kubizo; 02-06-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Sorry to disturb the entire forum again with this, but 1,440 views means I'm not the only one interested in an easy, all-in-one-place guide to screensaver replacement on Kindle Touch.

Can any of the big experts comment on the procedure I described?

Thanks a lot & sorry again!
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This will not work on the current Kindle Touch firmware (5.0.3); the security hole permitting script execution from the ID3 tags of MP3 files has been closed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
This is outdated, I'll be deleting the "simple screensaver hack" soon. I made it as a proof of concept since many people are asking "where's the touch hacks" after the jailbreak came out.

Check this out: http://yifan.lu/p/custom-screensaver/
Also, 5.0.3/4.0.1 jailbreak: http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Kubizo
Connoisseur

Oh! OK guys, thanks so much for answering to my post. I will edit the original post and highlight that it is outdated information.

I'll check out the new material.

Thanks again!
Advert