Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Blury page change

Hello everyone

I bought my Aura only three days ago and already have problems with it.

When I change pages, the screen becomes blury before the new page shows.

I tried to close it and open it and it didn't go away.

Does anyone know what that is? I'm pretty annoyed ..
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Ok so actually I found that it's this ghosting problems but I can't fix it.
Advert
Old 06-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
When turning pages how long is page blurry before it becomes sharp or page doesn't become sharp?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
aluisscp
Enthusiast
aluisscp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
You can sort of fix it, just set the refresh rate for less pages. It will refresh the screen more often and the ghosting will be less visible
aluisscp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Lima7
Connoisseur

I tried to set it for 5 pages but it's still very annoying. As if my Kobo is "slow". The ghosting lasts for pretty long IMO and even on the home page and settings.
Advert
Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
aluisscp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima7 View Post
I tried to set it for 5 pages but it's still very annoying. As if my Kobo is "slow". The ghosting lasts for pretty long IMO and even on the home page and settings.
I know what you mean, it made me feel the same way at first, but either it's better now or I don't notice it all that much anymore...
Also try adjusting the sharpness of the font. As of 3.0.0 this option isn't available anymore through the device but there is a post somewhere where I asked how to adjust it and there is a way by connecting the Kobo to the computer. It's kind of easy actually and it improves it a bit.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...arpness+slider

Last edited by aluisscp; 06-17-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Posted link to previous thread
Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 AM   #7
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima7 View Post
I tried to set it for 5 pages
Mine is set to refresh every page. I still don't understand why set it to a higher value, by the time my eyes go from the bottom to the top of the page, the refresh is done. And I couldn't notice any difference in terms of battery life.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
I still don't understand why set it to a higher value.
Maybe because, in theory, full page-refreshing less frequently should save some battery life. I haven't done any testing though.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
aluisscp
Enthusiast

I think the main reason for most people is that they don't like the black flash that comes up when refreshong, sp they choose for it to appear as little as possible. There's even a hack in the forum that sets it to an enourmous number of page turns...
Old 06-19-2014, 01:33 AM   #10
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Maybe because, in theory, full page-refreshing less frequently should save some battery life. I haven't done any testing though.
I can't speak for other devices, but on the Aura HD with the full refresh at every page I'm around 30 hours of battery life, which is what is announced by Kobo for this device.

I do think as well that people just don't like the "flash" during the full refresh, but personally I don't have any problem with it and I prefer by far to have a clean and crisp rendering of the text.
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athropos View Post
I can't speak for other devices, but on the Aura HD with the full refresh at every page I'm around 30 hours of battery life, which is what is announced by Kobo for this device.
Interesting. Like you I refresh every page on my AuraHD. It would be a shame not to see that beautiful screen always at its absolute best
Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluisscp View Post
I think the main reason for most people is that they don't like the black flash that comes up when refreshong, sp they choose for it to appear as little as possible. There's even a hack in the forum that sets it to an enourmous number of page turns...
I'm one of those who find the black flash more annoying than the ghosting. On my Glo I find the ghosting becomes noticeable after 20-30 page turns, but with most books one refresh every 16 page turns is enough that I don't notice any ghosts unless I make a special effort to look for them.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm wondering if Lima7 isn't comparing the page turns on e-ink to page turns on a tablet and just isn't used to how e-ink screens work.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #14
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Could be expectation as you suggested. I thought the Aura was supposed to have the regal waveform drivers so setting it to one refresh per page wouldn't show the flashing anyway? At least that's what I thought the point of the regal wave was, to eliminate the black flashing...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Could be expectation as you suggested. I thought the Aura was supposed to have the regal waveform drivers so setting it to one refresh per page wouldn't show the flashing anyway? At least that's what I thought the point of the regal wave was, to eliminate the black flashing...
I don't know anything about the science of regal waveform but the Aura6" still has a black flash during full page refresh. However, if you have a setting >1-page, the text deterioration between black flashes is less than earlier models. On non-black-flash page refreshes, if you get really close, you can briefly see an all-over regular grid pattern of tiny black dots, a bit like a close-up view of mid-tone newsprint.