Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 03:45 AM   #1
georgehuang
Enthusiast
georgehuang began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook, iPhone, Kindle Paperwhite
[Calibre Content Server viewer] Vertical text not shown in Flow Mode

I have a number of books in the "writing-mode: vertical-rl" style and have been reading them using a self-hosted Content Server.

The issue I'm encountering is that in "Flow Mode," the text is not displayed. However, in "Paged Mode," everything appears to be working fine. I prefer reading in "Flow Mode" because it makes it easier for me to highlight and take notes. Is this a bug? And is there anything I can do to make it work in "Flow Mode," such as applying a custom CSS style?

I'm using an iPhone and I access the Content Server through Safari.

Here's the link to a video demonstrating the situation:
http://eternalloggerimg.s3-ap-northe...-flow-mode.mp4
georgehuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:14 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Rendering is done by safari not calibre. Why its choosing not to render only Safari can say. If you attach a sample book I can take a look, though I only have access to desktop safari not iOS safari. Try using a different browser first.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:20 AM   #3
georgehuang
Enthusiast

The tricky part is that Flow Mode works in desktop Safari. I was guessing it's mobile Safari's fault. I tried Firefox, Chrome, Brave, Edge, and Arc, but since every iOS browser is still stuck with WebKit, I ended up coming here to try my luck...

I have attached a book for testing if you're willing.
Attached Files
File Type: epub vertical-rl-book.epub (1.20 MB, 4 views)
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if it works in desktop safari there's not much i can do since that's all i have access to. I dont have any ios devices.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:05 AM   #5
georgehuang
Enthusiast

It's OK. I'm taking my chance here. Flow Mode used to work fine, but I couldn't remember when it stopped working. I might file a radar to Apple since mobile Safari is the only browser with the problem.
Advert

Tags
calibre, content server, vertical text