Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Sloooow update

Hi

I use monthly OTA updates. I did it some days ago. The process was reasonably quick for the first two sliders, but the processing of the third and last slider was really awfully slow (between to 4.5kb down to 1.5kb). I had to resume updating five times before incrementally completing the update (good we do not have to resume from zero..).

My current location is in China. Is there any reason for the huge difference in speed between the first two sliders and the third one?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's a (series of) range requests, so, it's (somewhat) different each time.

Given that the master is located in the US (+ CloudFlare), and the mirrors in Canada (-na), Western (-fr) & Central (-pl) Europe, I'd indeed expect slow to downright terrible results in Asia, doubly so in China, because, err, The Wall.

I'd try the -na and -pl mirrors, just in case, but I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath .

With sane peerings, the limiting factor is usually the device's I/O, and/or the Wi-Fi signal itself, on devices with not-downright-terrible I/O.

As a random example, I'm seeing roughly the same 1.4MB/s that I see with LAN<->LAN Wi-Fi transfers to the same device in the same location on the same network:

Code:
#################--- 88.1%
#################--- 88.1% 155.6 kBps 26:52 ETA 
#################--- 88.1% 495.2 kBps 8:55 ETA  
##################-- 90.3% 1006.9 kBps 0:13 ETA
###################- 95.2% 1207.8 kBps 0:02 ETA
###################- 98.2% 1449.5 kBps 0:00 ETA
###################- 99.2% 1495.2 kBps 0:00 ETA
###################- 99.3% 1547.1 kBps 0:00 ETA
#################### 100.0% 1444.0 kBps DONE

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-24-2020 at 08:34 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your answer.

The download speed for local Arch repository is between 2 to 4 MB/sec but slower for some Aur updates.

I'll try to use other repositories for OTA updates. How could i change it?
Old 10-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Burguer menu -> update -> settings -> server
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #5
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Burguer menu -> update -> settings -> server
Thank you.

My previous selected mirror was http://koreader.ak-team.com/

I'll try different other mirrors and report the result for the next update.

I know that the Tsinghua university in Beijing provides a fast mirror for Arch repositories (not only that distro). Maybe they would accept to host a Koreader mirror for Chinese users ?

Last edited by roger64; 10-24-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Advert
Old 10-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, well, that probably didn't help .

That one's got barely any bandwidth, and is hosted in the north of France .

It's at the end of the list for a reason, it's really only there as a last resort in case your ISP has a severe allergy to CloudFlare CDNs and OpenStack object storage based mirrors .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-24-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:58 AM   #7
roger64
Wizard

I never paid any attention to mirror selection when in Europe nor willlingly selected this particular mirror (as it happened, it just worked reasonably before).

Good to know they are ranked by speed (sort of). But, the download speed obtained varies according to the server, to the location (or IP) of the user and may change over time. So this ranking is at best an advice.

I use a provided bash script to select mirrors by speed with Arch. Maybe this kind of tool could be adapted to Koreader?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...#List_by_speed
https://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

The other idea would be to find a Chinese host since Koreader is now a world class application.

Last edited by roger64; 10-25-2020 at 04:54 AM. Reason: speed
Old 11-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
I use a provided bash script to select mirrors by speed with Arch. Maybe this kind of tool could be adapted to Koreader?
That's Cloudflare's job really. You can pretty much regard all the others as backup unless you're in China.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:50 AM   #9
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
... unless you're in China.
I am
Old 11-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #10
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case it's conceivable that one of the other mirrors would do better. Not because they're geographically closer or have more bandwidth or anything like that, but just because Cloudflare is a well-known entity and @NiLuJe's server probably isn't. Then again, you said the French one was pretty slow and it gives me 80+ Mbit… (Well, only 10 Mbit or so on my H2O of course but that's simply its speed limit.)
Old 11-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The last entry in the list *is* technically slower, because it's not actually a fancy object storage frontend, it's served by a plain old nginx web server on real hardware, and it has teeny tiny throughput because...

Code:
[   15.660441] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eno1: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
Which makes it ten times slower than my home network ^^ .

The others are actually OpenStack frontends, and should offer better throughput.

(e.g., you can check in a browser, they all have file listing enabled: if it's pretty and naturally sorted, it's nginx, if it's dog-ugly, it's OpenStack ).

(There's a bit of a tradeoff: CloudFlare/OpenStack is *terrible* at range requests, but offers us essentially unlimited bandwidth and fairly decent PoP coverage. nginx is *awesome* at range requests, but my own server has very limited bandwidth).

Granted, since the move to zsync2, that's less of an issue than before. That was in fact one of the main goal of the whole thing, being able to get decent speeds out of the "proper" master/mirrors .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-07-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Thanks for your answer.

The download speed for local Arch repository is between 2 to 4 MB/sec but slower for some Aur updates.

Why would you use the Arch suppository when it doesn't work well?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you use the Arch suppository when it doesn't work well?
Moderator Notice
Knock it off.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:38 AM   #14
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Code:
[   15.660441] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eno1: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
Still plenty to offer a good experience for a pretty decent volume of users. Most downloads will be over in seconds, even without zsync. Your upload volume limit is much more likely to be a relevant restraint imho. (Unless you have some Cacti graphs or something proving me wrong. :-D )
Old 11-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Frenzie: Oh, yeah, it's mostly an issue for non-embedded platforms (and/or manual D/Ls), where a single client is likely more able to saturate the BW than a poor Kobo .