Notices

Old 10-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Few questions regarding Boox Note

Hi.

I need a large eink device to read, highlight and annotate PDFs either True or scanned for archaeological purposes.

Unfortunately the Sony CP1, which looks like a beauty and is not bloated with stuff I couldn't care less (speakers), doesn't sell in Europe.

The Note is the only option but some aspects of its software aren't clear to me:

1) what functionalities are enabled in PDF scribble mode? I understand the pen highlighting function gets disabled, but can I still highlight using fingers or do I have to exit scribble mode constantly? CP1 allows to either write or highlight depending on which pen button is pressed. Is there a way to force a similar functionality on the note? I really don't care much about erasing.

2) In split view mode it seems that the blank page is associated with the current PDF page. Also, I can't set up a notebook-like background in it? These 2 "features" are both a big no-no, sadly. Any way to force the software to behave like a CP1? The point of having a side note for me is to be able to make connections between events or to have a bullet-points list.

3) I know 2 documents view is not available (yet?) but is there some third party software allowing this? Example: opening 2 versions of 1 book, 1 for the main text 1 for the endnotes. This is just a minor issue since the tab function can be a good workaround.

If points 1 & 2 could be fixed I'd buy the Note instantly.

Thank you.
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
1) I could not manage to highlight with either my finger or the stylus when in scribble mode on a PDF. However, exiting and re-entering scribble mode is very fast and painless. I could not see that being much of a problem.

One thing I did notice, however, was that it could sometimes be troublesome to unhighlight a word. That I did find annoying. I was always able to eventually do it, but seldom on my first try.

2) In the split view mode, it does not seem possible at present to apply any templates. Currently, only a blank page is offered. However, one could lobby them to change. They seem to have responded to a number of requests from users such as being able to switch the note taking page in split view to the left hand side. I should think that allowing users to apply templates to the blank page would be a relatively easy software fix.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 11:41 PM   #3
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for the answer. Since the side note functionality is my main need I'll write to them and wait to see if they will implement Cp1-like features. Not gonna spend almost 600 euros for a gloryfied KA1.
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote