Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
drahnreb
drahnreb began at the beginning.

Talking Your opinion: Which is the appropriate price for the iRex iLiad?

Hi,

EUR 649 is too much money for the iRex. I think the right price would be EUR 299 - EUR 350.

What is your opinion?

Regards

Bernhard
drahnreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
If you take the Hardware features like Large screen, Wacom, WiFi and dual memory-card support into consideration then I think a price of 450€ would be just fine.

If you look at what all the features amount to in the actual device after so much development time, then I'd say no more than 100-200€.
I said right at the beginning that the Iliad has a lot of potential, but unfortunately it still has no more than potential and I doubt that will change much this year (although i'd love to be wrong here...).
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
drahnreb

do i understand you well?

You mean, that this year a new version of the iRex Iliad will appear?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
Something the 200-300 € range would be the best.
At present the Iliad is a very cool machine for a VERY uncool price
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
i think the Sony Reader price range is simply unrealistic. You could probably get close to it by giving away the stylus, wlan, ethernet and the second card slot.

But what would that be then? a second Sony Reader?

I think getting it to the 400 - 450 EUR range is more realistic.

BTW: I wouldn't wonder if the Reader was susidized by Sony.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
550 with color eink!...And better software.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

no, I don't think there will be a new Iliad this year.
The old one is so far away from being ready for market at the moment...
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I really hope not -- because that would probably mean less focus on the current iLiad! My assumption is that they are working hard on the current software and that when this software is complete, and based on us "beta-testers" (yes, I consider myself a happy beta-tester with the current iLiad) a new version will be released based on the then-complete software.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
I think the formula lower price = more units sold = in the end larger profit.
IMO, the most limiting factor for Iliad is currently not the software or time on beterry but the price....
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
There will bw a while until the new Irex reader will be out. They still have to do a LOT of tinkering with the current one to bring it to a decent level
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
drahnreb

Quote:
What are the reasons? Bad firmware?

Bernhard
Old 01-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Price is the reason I haven't bought one. (I got an ETI 1150 while I wait for the price to come down.) I know there's a lot of expensive hardware in there, so the price would probably have to be higher than for the Sony, but US$400 is as high as I think they could go. US$350 would be better.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@drahnreb

The software is a mess at the moment. Wacom is not supported beyond the most basic features you get with any touchscreen, the only useable file-format is PDF, the device is slow (page-tuns are ok, but navigating is painfully slow) and the WiFi does eactly one thing out of the box: Connect to iDS for software updates...*lol*
Booting times are long an you have to reboot the device constantly because it does not (and according to iRex will never) support Suspend mode...so...I could go on with this list for quite a while...

The device would have been the best on the market, but as it stands it's only good for home-reading when you can recharge regularly and for patient people who don't mind the long booting times and slow navigation.
There is progress on the Software-front, but it's so little and so slow that I can't even begin to guess when it'll be done...and even then it's doubtful how well the device will work without suspend...after all, battery life is what eink is all about the way I understood it...
Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
@drahnreb
(Laundry list of complaints... Some quite in-accurate, some exaggerated for effect)
My opinion? Ideally I'd be paying at most £300 for the Iliad, but I don't see any device that currently comes close to it. So if I was going to buy it today I'd still be paying the price Ires ask. Yep, there's the Sony Reader, but I don't want to go through gymnastics to put stuff onto it.

I'm currently finding the iLiad a very handy device... Its now a common sight with me at work, and now at other meetings I have...

I think the main problem with the Iliad is that its the first of its kind and everyone has projected their desires on it. Which has led to an extended gap between expectation and reality. Personally, I'm very satisfied with what Matthijs & Co have put together. With each month last year their product has got better and better, and I think that in 2007 it will come into its own...

jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

ok, can someone explain why HTML should be unusable? So far the HTML viewer/browser that is by default installed does eat nearly everthing I have thrown at it. For example the samba server html manual and the HTML pages I formatted with a simple editor (or my comic tool).

Does it just have problems with, for example, "HTML" generated by one of the famous WYSIWYG editors from Microsoft?

If so, you can blame that on said software.
From my experience I can say that everything that goes through a W3C validator with little to no errors will be displayed correct on the iLiad. What happens to IE "optimized" MS-HTML, I don't know (neither I do want to know).

What disturbs me most is as CommanderROR said the power-management and the probably forever missing suspend-to-RAM.

Slow navigation is also right, but I believe that is because the contentLister parses at least every directory in the one you are about to open for the manifest.xml.

For me it looks like there is no sort of caching, so it parses every manifest.xml again on opening a directory with sub-directories.

As I said, it looks like that, but maybe I'm wrong.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote