Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 01:41 AM   #1
lori87
Connoisseur
lori87 doesn't litterlori87 doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Question Kobo Clara HD with 300ppi is cheaper than the Aura H20 2 with 265ppi? Why?

I have a gift card to this popular Canadian store, so I get $100 off. I can buy:

• Kobo Clara HD 6"

• Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 6.8

So basically I'll be able to get the Clara for $40 or the Aura H20 for $100, which in both cases is a steal, the only thing I noticed was the larger Aura with 6.8" screen is 265 ppi. Does this mean it won't be nearly as clear or good?
lori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 AM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I don't think you'll notice any difference in sharpness. The real differences are the weight, screen size and ComfortLight. For portability I'd take the Clara.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 03:09 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I see on the Kobo Web Site that GIFT cards can Not be used to buy E-Readers of Tablets or Cases.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
I don't think you'll notice any difference in sharpness. The real differences are the weight, screen size and ComfortLight. For portability I'd take the Clara.
And the H2O is waterproof.

I don't think there's a noticeable difference between the devices in terms of sharpness either. I do agree that it's the usual end use that should drive this; I think the H2O is barely portable (much depending on the size of one's bag; it's too big for most pockets), so for an out and about reader I'd pick the Clara, but for a mostly stay at home device the bigger screen is very appealing, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I see on the Kobo Web Site that GIFT cards can Not be used to buy E-Readers of Tablets or Cases.
I assume it's a Chapters/Indigo gift card.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
lori87
Connoisseur

Thank you guys, I'll mainly be using it at home to read books and articles, so maybe the bigger device is better? I was just afraid of the lower PPI
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
If you read ordinarie fiction it probably won't matter, but if you read non-fiction (or anything with graphs/images) the bigger screen is a big plus.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori87 View Post
Thank you guys, I'll mainly be using it at home to read books and articles, so maybe the bigger device is better? I was just afraid of the lower PPI
I've got the first H2O and for me the important jump in clarity was from the 212 ppi of the Glo to the 265 ppi of the H2O. The visible improvement between 265 and 300 is negligible. If you're mostly going to read at home, my own preference would be to go for more size.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Keep in mind with the bigger screen, you could up the text size a little and the letters would use the same number of pixels. I doubt you see much difference there. Or keep the text the same size and have more text on the screen which can be a plus as well.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
lori87
Connoisseur

You guys are the best, thank you, H20 v2 it is!
Old 10-08-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
H20 has a larger screen and waterproofing. Probably accounts for the price difference.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
I have both and I prefer lightly H2O because for me the ecarn 6.8 is more comfortable.
By cons, you would not see the difference between 300 or 260dpi with the naked eye

Why more money?
• The bigger screen (bigger = more to pay - is normal)
• Waterproof
• Baterie 1500mAh
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
I have both and I prefer lightly H2O because for me the ecarn 6.8 is more comfortable.
By cons, you would not see the difference between 300 or 260dpi with the naked eye

Why more money?
• The bigger screen (bigger = more to pay - is normal)
• Waterproof
• Baterie 1500mAh
How big of a battery is the Clara HD? I was thinking about buying the Clara HD when I already have the H2o2 but this thread is making me think not to now. Lol
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
i_m_sherlocked
i_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Clara HD, ASUS Transformer Book T100TA
Clara HD battery is also 1500 mAh
i_m_sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Please re-read the first sentence of the original message.

Quote:
I have a gift card to this popular Canadian store, so I get $100 off. I can buy:
I don't think he was talking about Kobo gift cards. Chapters/Indigo is happy to allow you to use their gift card(s) to pay for an ereader. Ditto for Best Buy and Walmart.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #15
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_sherlocked View Post
Clara HD battery is also 1500 mAh
Yes, "Mea Culpa" ;-)
*I looked in my KOBO CLARA HD is I pa view the information on the mAh, (I did not find) so I was wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michal_Clara_Batery.PNG
Views:	5190
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	166807  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-09-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote