Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-14-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
C Alberga
Enthusiast
C Alberga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting HTML, -> .epub works, -> mobi, bad format.

I'm not sure this belongs here, but if not please direct me to the proper place.

I am creating a .html file, listing books in a database. The HTML displays correctly in Firefox, and Calibre's conversion to .epub is fine. But the conversion to .mobi introduces blank lines between each entry. Any idea how to fix this?
C Alberga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Thank you. It works correctly on the Kindle now. But the Calibre reader refused to display it, with an error message, below. Will this work on my Latop (Windows 7)?

calibre, version 1.48.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>WindowsError</b>:[Error 1155] No application is associated with the specified file for this operation: u'D:\\Calibre Library 2012\\Cyril N. Alberga\\Title List (2055)\\Title List - Cyril N. Alberga.azw3'

calibre 1.48 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 181, in view_specific_format
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 93, in view_format
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 101, in view_format_by_id
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 150, in _view_file
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 140, in _launch_viewer
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 1070, in open_local_file
WindowsError: [Error 1155] No application is associated with the specified file for this operation: u'D:\\Calibre Library 2012\\Cyril N. Alberga\\Title List (2055)\\Title List - Cyril N. Alberga.azw3'
Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In Preferences, check AZW3 as one of the filetypes to be opened in the internal viewer. Your computer does not have another program that opens AZW3 files.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You are trying to view?
Calibre normally uses its own viewer, but you can override it.
In this case, it appears that an override is in place, but you did not install a Amazon viewer

Preferences: Behavior: (Right side) tick AZW3
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

theducks -- as I remember, the default is to not open AZW3 but pass it to the OS.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
theducks -- as I remember, the default is to not open AZW3 but pass it to the OS.
That would do it. Error handling a little weak? (I never was good at that part with my Paradox DB apps )
Old 06-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Yeah, I should search before I ask, shouldn't I. I was searching on "reader" not "viewer", so I didn't fine the many times this has already been asked and answered. Sorry for bothering all of you unnecessarily.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Alberga View Post
Yeah, I should search before I ask, shouldn't I. I was searching on "reader" not "viewer", so I didn't fine the many times this has already been asked and answered. Sorry for bothering all of you unnecessarily.
I don't think I have seen that error report before.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #10
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Argh! The format is good now, but special characters are being munged.

The document contains (among others) Æ, &#x20a1;, &#x20a1;, &fnof;, none of which are making through the conversion to .mobi or .azw3. I haven't checked for a number of other special characters that I have used.

I've uncheck unicode to ascii transliteration and tried cp1252, latin1, and utf-8, none of which helped. I've tried searching the forums and the 'net, but am clearly using the wrong search terms.

What else should I try?
Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Try examining the book in the calibre editor. I think Check Book can help you catch and fix encoding errors.

Ultimately you want to get an EPUB with utf-8 files in it, IMHO. Working with utf-8 text makes these things easier.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Actually the default setting is that the AZW3 is checked in the Use Viewer for list. Easy to verify, just hit the Reset button in Preferences panel.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
C Alberga
Enthusiast

I'm starting with HTML, as my word processor of choice in Word Perfect, which it seems no one else in this corner of the universe uses. Ultimately, what I WANT (besides the HTML for browser use) is something my Kindle can display. This is particularly frustrating, as (before fixing the format) I did manage to get the special characters through the conversion, but I haven't figured out the combination of setting that did it. I was hoping there was a simple answer to take character codings which work in FireFox and push them into epub or mobi or azw3. Seems not to be the case. I guess I have to make a careful list of setting and try all possible combinations until I hit the one that does what I want. Bother!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@C Alberga - maybe this can help ==>> How do I convert my file containing non-English characters?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Actually the default setting is that the AZW3 is checked in the Use Viewer for list. Easy to verify, just hit the Reset button in Preferences panel.

BR
Which version? I definitely know when I first installed calibre (I migrate my settings) I had to manually enable AZW3.