Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2023, 01:10 PM   #1
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
Bible on Kobo

Some time ago, I purchased an NIV Bible from the Kobo store for the Libra 2. It worked fine for a while, albeit rather slow when shifting back and forth. After a time, it just stopped working. When I try to open it, the whole reader just freezes. After a couple minute, the backlight turns off and the reader reboots. I've removed it and added it back again, but still can't view it. Would you have any thoughts or is a 9.1MB book just took large for it to handle efficiently? I can read everything else with no issue.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 01:45 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've seen that with a couple of books. The main issues with them were structural such as placing the entire text content into a single file, and CSS & formatting errors such that when I opened the book and ran epubcheck on it, there were multiple pages of errors reported. In your case, I would suspect that your Libra 2 has added books so the database is taking up more memory leading to out of memory errors when opening your NIV Bible.

Have you reported the book to Kobo? The few times I've done so, they were responsive thought that response was mostly to offer a refund.

May I ask which version you have (author, ISBN)?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2023, 06:35 AM   #3
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the one I have: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/niv-holy-bible-ebook

I've tried launching from a fresh restart, but that didn't help. It definitely feels like a cache file issue, but I've never seen an option to clear cache anywhere. I was mainly asking because I was eyeballing the Thompson Chain Reference Bible, and, because of the vast amount of extra content, I was afraid it would be unusable.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the advice. I will shoot an email to Kobo.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:34 AM   #4
Larken
Where's the backlight??

Well, I wrapped up a support chat with Kobo. After removing the book from my library and adding it back again, I synced and it worked just fine. It was a surprisingly quick and easy resolution to the issue. Thanks for suggesting Kobo support. I was hesitant, because I had read some grumbling about the quality of their support.